Re: [Hammock Camping] Static Electricity in a hammock(makes my hair stand on end)

  • ian toal
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2007
      Hey Ben,

      If your looking to make one hammock that covers all the camping you plan on doing including the colder ones I'd recommend a one with a double bottom layer. I've been out for up to three nights camping in wilderness areas where I live and have been comfortable warm down to -16 Celcius/ 3 Fahrenheit. One of the things that saved me was the hammock I had (not sure if it's O.K. to mention the brand name here?) and being able to stuff extra clothes and a blanket underneath me in pockets sewn under the hammock. This blocked out the wind and cold. In the hammock I had a heat reflective blanket under an inflatable ground pad with a 0 degree bag. Just keep an eye on the reflective blanket, they have an effective use of three days. And what ever you do, on cold nights, do not put a heat reflective blanket on top of your sleeping bag.

      I have seen one design where the ground pad can be slipped between the two layers of a hammock. I could see where this would keep it from slipping out from underneath you when you roll at night.

      Beyond that keep in mind that rivers tend to run between 5 and 10 degrees cooler than surround areas away from and above the river so keep that in mind when you are planning what gear you need.

      So far I've found no reason at all to go back on the ground in the winter when using my hammock. All I need to do now is sew in some straps to keep the ground pad from shifting on me and I'll be fine.

      Hope this helps and Enjoy,

      bennybillygoat <bennybillygoat@...> wrote: -Humidity ...yes I was in a dry shop with carpeted floors.

      -Carey you make me laugh, my girlfriend and I have already broken up
      once from paddling the same canoe, not to mention our antics on a
      tandem bicycle(Oh golly!). Mind you, if we shared a hammock at least
      we'd have to snuggle ...'til she kicked me out I guess.

      -As for where I'm likely to be with my hammock:

      I reside in Australia
      There's bound to be many tropical/summer adventures perfect
      for a hammock, but I live down south and can encounter temps down to
      just below zero degrees celcius unexpectedly at times(although maybe
      i could revert to a (you know what) at these times??) -So I guess
      generally between 8 and 25 deg celcius if I picked the seasons(but I
      am skinny and feel the cold).
      Some of the places I regularly visit where a hammock would be
      especially useful include: Rocky river gorges or mountain crags,
      Dense temperate rainforest ie The Tarkine in Tassie(although it can
      get cold here), Sensitive areas where pitching a (you know what) may
      cause damage, and group outings where I simply must be the coolest
      of course.
      But most of all I love the sensation of "just hanging around"
      and hope a hammock may improve my comfort, and flexibility of

      Ps. I've found Ray's great description of making a silk hammock at
      www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock and may give this a go? Any
      updates Ray, are you still using it?

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>