Static Electricity in a hammock(makes my hair stand on end)

  • bennybillygoat
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2007
      I'm just a fledgeling in this hammock camping world, and currently
      researching before buying/making my first serious hammock. I would
      greatly appreciate your feedback on a couple of things:

      Firstly, I tried an Eagles Nest nylon hammock in a shop the other day
      (it was setup on a metal frame). It was very comfy and lightweight,
      but made my hair stand up from static electricity. Is this unavoidable?

      Secondly, can two people sleep in a double hammock comfortably or
      would two singles be better?

      Oh also, anyone know of any retailers in Victoria, Australia with good
      hammocks or resources?

      Cheers, Ben
    • michael thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2007
        2 singles are always better...welcome to the group!!

        >From: "bennybillygoat" <bennybillygoat@...>
        >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Static Electricity in a hammock(makes my hair
        >stand on end)
        >Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 04:56:52 -0000
        >
        >I'm just a fledgeling in this hammock camping world, and currently
        >researching before buying/making my first serious hammock. I would
        >greatly appreciate your feedback on a couple of things:
        >
        >Firstly, I tried an Eagles Nest nylon hammock in a shop the other day
        >(it was setup on a metal frame). It was very comfy and lightweight,
        >but made my hair stand up from static electricity. Is this unavoidable?
        >
        >Secondly, can two people sleep in a double hammock comfortably or
        >would two singles be better?
        >
        >Oh also, anyone know of any retailers in Victoria, Australia with good
        >hammocks or resources?
        >
        >Cheers, Ben

        Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!
      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2007
          Wait, do you mean to single people are better than a married couple in a
          double or that any two people are better off with their own hammock? (Both
          is my bet. The worst would be a married couple in a double hammock who got
          there paddling a tandem kayak.)

          2 singles are always better...welcome to the group!!

          >From: "bennybillygoat" <bennybillygoat@...>
          >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Static Electricity in a hammock(makes my hair
          >stand on end)
          >Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 04:56:52 -0000
          >
          >I'm just a fledgeling in this hammock camping world, and currently
          >researching before buying/making my first serious hammock. I would
          >greatly appreciate your feedback on a couple of things:
          >
          >Firstly, I tried an Eagles Nest nylon hammock in a shop the other day
          >(it was setup on a metal frame). It was very comfy and lightweight,
          >but made my hair stand up from static electricity. Is this unavoidable?
          >
          >Secondly, can two people sleep in a double hammock comfortably or
          >would two singles be better?
          >
          >Oh also, anyone know of any retailers in Victoria, Australia with good
          >hammocks or resources?
          >
          >Cheers, Ben

        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2007
            Two people in a double camping hammock seam to complain about bruising by
            being bumped in the night.
            It might be difernet in a hammock with a spreader bar.

            As far as static shocks. I'm inclinded to think your in a dry place as in
            indoor heated weather.
            IT should be better when the air is more humid.

            Rogene

            > Wait, do you mean to single people are better than a married couple in a
            > double or that any two people are better off with their own hammock?
            > (Both
            > is my bet. The worst would be a married couple in a double hammock who got
            > there paddling a tandem kayak.)

          • bennybillygoat
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2007
              -Humidity ...yes I was in a dry shop with carpeted floors.

              -Carey you make me laugh, my girlfriend and I have already broken up
              once from paddling the same canoe, not to mention our antics on a
              tandem bicycle(Oh golly!). Mind you, if we shared a hammock at least
              we'd have to snuggle ...'til she kicked me out I guess.

              -As for where I'm likely to be with my hammock:

              I reside in Australia
              There's bound to be many tropical/summer adventures perfect
              for a hammock, but I live down south and can encounter temps down to
              just below zero degrees celcius unexpectedly at times(although maybe
              i could revert to a (you know what) at these times??) -So I guess
              generally between 8 and 25 deg celcius if I picked the seasons(but I
              am skinny and feel the cold).
              Some of the places I regularly visit where a hammock would be
              especially useful include: Rocky river gorges or mountain crags,
              Dense temperate rainforest ie The Tarkine in Tassie(although it can
              get cold here), Sensitive areas where pitching a (you know what) may
              cause damage, and group outings where I simply must be the coolest
              of course.
              But most of all I love the sensation of "just hanging around"
              and hope a hammock may improve my comfort, and flexibility of
              campsite.

              Ben

              Ps. I've found Ray's great description of making a silk hammock at
              www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock and may give this a go? Any
              updates Ray, are you still using it?

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
              wrote:

              > Two people in a double camping hammock seam to complain about
              bruising by
              > being bumped in the night.
              > It might be difernet in a hammock with a spreader bar.
              >
              > As far as static shocks. I'm inclinded to think your in a dry
              place as in
              > indoor heated weather.
              > IT should be better when the air is more humid.
              >
              > Rogene

            • michael thomas
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2007
                hahaha .. no what i mean't is 2 hammocks are better than one..2 sleeping
                in the same hammock comfortably means they both must move very little while
                sleeping..dont have to pee 3 times a night..plus they must enjoy being
                tight up aganst someone else while sleeping..taking in all these and other
                factors into account..2 hammocks would be better than one....but hey no one
                says you cant sling then very close together if you wish to share the same
                tarp ect..

                >From: "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
                >To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [Hammock Camping] Static Electricity in a hammock(makes my
                >hair stand on end)
                >Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:43:21 -0500
                >
                >Wait, do you mean to single people are better than a married couple in a
                >double or that any two people are better off with their own hammock? (Both
                >is my bet. The worst would be a married couple in a double hammock who got
                >there paddling a tandem kayak.)

                Find what you need at prices you�ll love. Compare products and save at MSN�
                Shopping.
                http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701
              • ian toal
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2007
                  Hey Ben,

                  If your looking to make one hammock that covers all the camping you plan on doing including the colder ones I'd recommend a one with a double bottom layer. I've been out for up to three nights camping in wilderness areas where I live and have been comfortable warm down to -16 Celcius/ 3 Fahrenheit. One of the things that saved me was the hammock I had (not sure if it's O.K. to mention the brand name here?) and being able to stuff extra clothes and a blanket underneath me in pockets sewn under the hammock. This blocked out the wind and cold. In the hammock I had a heat reflective blanket under an inflatable ground pad with a 0 degree bag. Just keep an eye on the reflective blanket, they have an effective use of three days. And what ever you do, on cold nights, do not put a heat reflective blanket on top of your sleeping bag.

                  I have seen one design where the ground pad can be slipped between the two layers of a hammock. I could see where this would keep it from slipping out from underneath you when you roll at night.

                  Beyond that keep in mind that rivers tend to run between 5 and 10 degrees cooler than surround areas away from and above the river so keep that in mind when you are planning what gear you need.

                  So far I've found no reason at all to go back on the ground in the winter when using my hammock. All I need to do now is sew in some straps to keep the ground pad from shifting on me and I'll be fine.

                  Hope this helps and Enjoy,

                  Ian

                  bennybillygoat <bennybillygoat@...> wrote: -Humidity ...yes I was in a dry shop with carpeted floors.