guy lines for a tarp

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2007
      Hi gang,

      I'm planning to replace the stock lines on my tarp and I was thinking
      about using that Kelty Triptease Lightline. It says it's intended for
      guying out a tent so I'm wondering if anyone uses this or has used
      this with their tarp and what have your results been?

      I certainly don't want my tarps lines breaking in a strong wind and I
      also don't want something really difficult to untie.

      Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

      Jamie in AZ
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2007
        I use the orange line that Ed Speer sells. Having used paracord for a
        year or so I switched to the polyester covered line. It is easy to see
        so that I don't trip. It is light weight. It packs well. It is strong.

        Rick

        chcoa wrote:
        > Hi gang,
        >
        > I'm planning to replace the stock lines on my tarp and I was thinking
        > about using that Kelty Triptease Lightline. It says it's intended for
        > guying out a tent so I'm wondering if anyone uses this or has used
        > this with their tarp and what have your results been?
        >
        > I certainly don't want my tarps lines breaking in a strong wind and I
        > also don't want something really difficult to untie.
        >
        > Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
        >
        > Jamie in AZ

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2007
          Jamie,

          I used TripTease until I switched to the Jacks'R'Better cord. TripTease
          is 2 mm and the Jacks'R'Better is 3 mm.

          The tensile strength of TripTease is about 180 pounds, so 90 pounds
          after you tie a knot.

          Both are excellent choices.

          Dick Matthews

          chcoa wrote:

          > Hi gang,
          >
          > I'm planning to replace the stock lines on my tarp and I was thinking
          > about using that Kelty Triptease Lightline. It says it's intended for
          > guying out a tent so I'm wondering if anyone uses this or has used
          > this with their tarp and what have your results been?
          >
          > I certainly don't want my tarps lines breaking in a strong wind and I
          > also don't want something really difficult to untie.
          >
          > Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
          >
          > Jamie in AZ
          >
          > _
          > .

        • Stuhr, Tim
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2007
            I've been using the Kelty Triptease for over a year with no problems. I
            have started making most of my knots "slippery" so it's much quicker to
            untie and break camp. The reflective threads in it do help find it at
            night.

            Stoikurt

            I'm planning to replace the stock lines on my tarp and I was thinking
            about using that Kelty Triptease Lightline. It says it's intended for
            guying out a tent so I'm wondering if anyone uses this or has used
            this with their tarp and what have your results been?

            I certainly don't want my tarps lines breaking in a strong wind and I
            also don't want something really difficult to untie.

            Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

            Jamie in AZ

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Eyewall
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2007
              I use Fling-It for guy lines and bear bagging line. Its 2mm and bright
              orange, has 650# breaking strength. Does not work the best for a
              friction knot, like a tautline. Works great on bowlines. This is where
              I got mine, and is the best price I found. $22 for 180 feet.

              http://www.wesspur.com/Throw-line/zing-it-throw-line.html

              cm
            • michael thomas
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2007
                i have used 550 para cord for years as a tarp line..with complete
                sucess..also i use a truckers hitch to tie the line to the stake .. it is
                quick and simple to tie and a pull of the free end releases it in an
                instant..wet or dry..plus i can retie /adjust quickly in a storm..

                >From: "chcoa" <jdeben@...>
                >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Hammock Camping] guy lines for a tarp
                >Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 06:23:08 -0000
                >
                >Hi gang,
                >
                >I'm planning to replace the stock lines on my tarp and I was thinking
                >about using that Kelty Triptease Lightline. It says it's intended for
                >guying out a tent so I'm wondering if anyone uses this or has used
                >this with their tarp and what have your results been?
                >
                >I certainly don't want my tarps lines breaking in a strong wind and I
                >also don't want something really difficult to untie.
                >
                >Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
                >
                >Jamie in AZ

                something more.
                http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2007
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

                  > Hi gang,
                  >
                  > I'm planning to replace the stock lines on my tarp and I was thinking
                  > about using that Kelty Triptease Lightline. It says it's intended
                  for
                  > guying out a tent so I'm wondering if anyone uses this or has used
                  > this with their tarp and what have your results been?
                  >
                  > I certainly don't want my tarps lines breaking in a strong wind and I
                  > also don't want something really difficult to untie.
                  >
                  > Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
                  >
                  > Jamie in AZ

                  I've used several types of guyline over the years. Triptease and the
                  pulse line that Rick mentioned are both spectra core lines and work
                  well as do other types of cord. The triptease reflects light from a
                  flashlight from a distance when you are trying to locate your campsite
                  but doesn't seem to do much when you are close to it. I like no
                  stretch guyline like those two, rather than nylon line that stretches a
                  good bit more and contributes significantly to tarp sag. The triptease
                  and pulse line also don't tangle too badly and work well with taut line
                  knots, clove hitches, etc that are often used with tarp lines.

                  Dave