Re: [Hammock Camping] no more cheap Walmart fabric

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2007
      That is true.
      call Wall Mart to make a complaint.
      Wall mart will faze all their fabric department within three years. All new
      Wallmarts are built without the fabric department. I found they expanded
      the gift cards department to the size of the old fabric department in my
      home towns new WallMart. Yuck.
      I new check old Wlarmarts for thigns Imay need and am stocking up with
      sinylon and other camping stuff..

      Rogene
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 13, 2007
        My Walmart's fabric dept doesnt even carry ripstop nylon and as far as
        i know then never carried it. The local fabric stop doesnt even carry
        the silnylon, there is no market for it here they say and they would
        charge alot for it just for special fabric order

        KB

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

        > That is true.
        > call Wall Mart to make a complaint.
        > Wall mart will faze all their fabric department within three years.
        All new
        > Wallmarts are built without the fabric department. I found they
        expanded
        > the gift cards department to the size of the old fabric department in
        my
        > home towns new WallMart. Yuck.
        > I new check old Wlarmarts for thigns Imay need and am stocking up
        with
        > sinylon and other camping stuff..
        >
        > Rogene

      • RevT
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 13, 2007
          . All new
          > Wallmarts are built without the fabric department.

          Not true.

          Forgot to get the wife to ask her WalMart. She will hopefully ask
          tomorrow. At any rate, this store was built in Sept 2006 and it has a
          fabric section. Two more are going up within 30 mins of me in the next
          few months. I'll see if they have one also.

          Brian
        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2007
            How new is the question or how recently was this decision made by Walmart?
            My new Walmart was opened in January 2007.
            Another group with women only has been discussing this since November when
            one of us was informed by a Walmart company represenative and we have been
            quietly asking several Walmarts around the country getting the same answer
            that they were discontinueing the fabric departments.
            The older Walmart store fabric represenative said it will all be fazed out
            im three years and recomended to call corporate to make a complaint.

            Rogene.
          • Black Wolfe
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 14, 2007
              I suspect the answer lies in Wal-Mart's market analysis department. They
              are doing a lot of market specific adjustments in other areas, stocking what
              sells in each store and dropping items that are not making a profit, on a
              store by store basis.

              To misquote someone somewhere, "It's simple numbers folks, They want it
              all."

              Bruce W.

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 14, 2007
                Here's what I have seen: One new store had fabric, another didn't.
                One store they are taking the fabric out. One store they remodeled
                and left the fabric section at a fraction of the size, so small that
                I suspect they are getting rid of it. Most stores have stayed the
                same, I have probably been in a dozen stores. I don't see anything
                consistent about fabric going away at this time, but it has
                definitely gone away in some.

                BTW, the Hankcock and JoAnn's stores near me carry 1.9 oz rip stop
                nylon, but I haven't seen the 1.1 oz or silnylon there. Ed Speer is
                also selling these fabrics by the yard now.

                Dave

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@...>

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 14, 2007
                  In some places they make a conscious decision not to compete with stores
                  in the area - this leads to better acceptance in the community. I
                  understand that the Erwin TN Walmart did not put in a tire department
                  because the local tire folks were important in the community.

                  Rick

                  Black Wolfe wrote:
                  > I suspect the answer lies in Wal-Mart's market analysis department. They
                  > are doing a lot of market specific adjustments in other areas, stocking what
                  > sells in each store and dropping items that are not making a profit, on a
                  > store by store basis.
                  >
                  > To misquote someone somewhere, "It's simple numbers folks, They want it
                  > all."
                  >
                  > Bruce W.

                • gordon_human
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 14, 2007
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <kb1hzm@...> wrote:

                    > My Walmart's fabric dept doesnt even carry ripstop nylon and as far as
                    > i know then never carried it. The local fabric stop doesnt even carry
                    > the silnylon, there is no market for it here they say and they would
                    > charge alot for it just for special fabric order
                    >
                    > KB

                    I'm guessing you live in Chicagoland? None of them round here carry
                    either fabric as far as I can discover - I've trolled about 6 stores
                    including a superstore.

                    Gordon
                  • C C Wayah
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 14, 2007
                      Thanks.
                      I do have a future project of building a wood framed canvas canoe someday.
                      There's plenty of smooth water anear my home to make one useful and one of
                      those beutiful wood kyak.
                      But this is off topic.
                      Rogene

                      If you are looking for fabric try Eureka Camping Center in Binghamton New
                      York. I have been buying tents there since 1975. I grew up there and they
                      always carried ripstop nylon and canvas by the roll. They are on Conklin Ave
                      but I don't know the phone number. All I know is the area code 607.
                    • michael thomas
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 15, 2007
                        i would disagree...as i am a canoe camper..i use my hammocks mostly on my
                        canoe trips..many feel your only camping if you lug it on your back..i did
                        that for a quater century then i discovered the joy of the paddle and the
                        sweet enjoyment of a hammock slung at the waters edge..the sound of the
                        river ..the gentle sway of my hammock... ahhh the good things in
                        life...perhaps we should try to organize a canoe / hammock rondevous it
                        would be a fun way to enjoy both ....safe journeys

                        >From: "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                        >To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] no more cheap Walmart fabric
                        >Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:22:08 -0500
                        >
                        >Thanks.
                        >I do have a future project of building a wood framed canvas canoe someday.
                        >There's plenty of smooth water anear my home to make one useful and one of
                        >those beutiful wood kyak.
                        >But this is off topic.
                        >Rogene
                        >
                        > If you are looking for fabric try Eureka Camping Center in Binghamton New
                        >York. I have been buying tents there since 1975. I grew up there and they
                        >always carried ripstop nylon and canvas by the roll. They are on Conklin
                        >Ave
                        >but I don't know the phone number. All I know is the area code 607.

                        Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping
                      • C C Wayah
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 16, 2007
                          Thanks
                          Michael for your insight.

                          >i would disagree...as i am a canoe camper..i use my hammocks mostly on my
                          >canoe trips......
                          > life...perhaps we should try to organize a canoe / hammock rondevous it
                          > would be a fun way to enjoy both ....safe journeys

                          I've been tyiing to do just that with a girlfriend that has had an illness
                          with limitations in hiking.Just cant seam to get the dates coordinated for
                          this properly.

                          One great place for a canoe is the okefenokee Swamps.
                          Used to go there on day trips from Jax Fla with a cooler full of frozen
                          fruit to eat in the heat. Lots of wildlife to see
                          every time we went there adn can spend days just exploring.

                          Rogene
                        • michael thomas
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 17, 2007
                            have you ever tried the choctawhatchee river in lower alabama...great river
                            to float...with many many great camping spots along the bank..plus once it
                            crosses into fla. it becomes a state park of sorts..camping below the high
                            water mark is public domain so sand bars with trees are common.. it is a
                            wide coastal river that is almost 178 miles long and ends in the gulf of
                            mexico near ft. walton beach... my group is now talking about a float/
                            hammock trip this year...if you might be interested in going along let me
                            know...i have canoed /hammock camped on this river for 25 yrs and enjoyed it
                            tremedously..to be honest that is why i got into hammock camping so i could
                            pack less gear and camp more comfortably in the summer heat

                            >From: "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                            >To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] no more cheap Walmart fabric
                            >Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:00:50 -0500
                            >
                            >Thanks
                            >Michael for your insight.
                            >

                            > >i would disagree...as i am a canoe camper..i use my hammocks mostly on
                            >my
                            > >canoe trips......
                            > > life...perhaps we should try to organize a canoe / hammock rondevous
                            >it
                            > > would be a fun way to enjoy both ....safe journeys
                            >

                            >I've been tyiing to do just that with a girlfriend that has had an illness
                            >with limitations in hiking.Just cant seam to get the dates coordinated for
                            >this properly.
                            >
                            >One great place for a canoe is the okefenokee Swamps.
                            >Used to go there on day trips from Jax Fla with a cooler full of frozen
                            >fruit to eat in the heat. Lots of wildlife to see
                            >every time we went there adn can spend days just exploring.
                            >
                            >Rogene

                            Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!
                          • C C Wayah
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 17, 2007
                              How many days does it talk to do this float trip?
                              and when are you going.

                              I have a alternate plan in mind to see some firneds that live 40 miles from
                              the PCT on the Oregan boarder.if I can and do some hiking so you have
                              competition.

                              Rogene.

                              > have you ever tried the choctawhatchee river in lower alabama...great
                              > river
                              > to float...with many many great camping spots along the bank..plus once it
                              > crosses into fla. it becomes a state park of sorts..camping below the high
                              > water mark is public domain so sand bars with trees are common.. it is a
                              > wide coastal river that is almost 178 miles long and ends in the gulf of
                              > mexico near ft. walton beach... my group is now talking about a float/
                              > hammock trip this year...if you might be interested in going along let
                              > me
                              > know...i have canoed /hammock camped on this river for 25 yrs and enjoyed
                              > it
                              > tremedously..to be honest that is why i got into hammock camping so i
                              > could
                              > pack less gear and camp more comfortably in the summer heat
                              >

                              >>From: "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                              >>To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
                              >>Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] no more cheap Walmart fabric
                              >>Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:00:50 -0500
                              >>
                              >>Thanks
                              >>Michael for your insight.
                              >>

                              >> >i would disagree...as i am a canoe camper..i use my hammocks mostly on
                              >>my
                              >> >canoe trips......
                              >> > life...perhaps we should try to organize a canoe / hammock rondevous
                              >>it
                              >> > would be a fun way to enjoy both ....safe journeys
                              >>

                              >>I've been tyiing to do just that with a girlfriend that has had an illness
                              >>with limitations in hiking.Just cant seam to get the dates coordinated for
                              >>this properly.
                              >>
                              >>One great place for a canoe is the okefenokee Swamps.
                              >>Used to go there on day trips from Jax Fla with a cooler full of frozen
                              >>fruit to eat in the heat. Lots of wildlife to see
                              >>every time we went there adn can spend days just exploring.
                              >>
                              >>Rogene

                            • michael thomas
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 17, 2007
                                it is still in the planning stage right now....to do the entire trip would
                                take 4 or 5 days depending on river conditions..if you do a search for
                                choctawhatchee river it will bring up a site with some very useful info...we
                                plan on doing from newton ala to the last bridge before the bay/gulf...and
                                early may is our target ....i will post a notice when i get all the details
                                worked out...safe journeys