no more cheap Walmart fabric

  • Jim Greenway
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2007
      All of the TAG area Walmarts are telling me that Walmart is closing their fabric sections. Jim Greenway
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jim Greenway
        <mtnpathfinder@...> wrote:

        > All of the TAG area Walmarts are telling me that Walmart is
        closing their fabric sections. Jim Greenway

        This should stand as the (current) authoritative reference about
        WalMart and fabric centers:

        Quote: WalMart Plans to Drop Fabrics At Some Stores
        Wall Street Journal, 23Jan07, p.A2

        ...Most of the new stores WalMart opens this year and those it
        remodels will forgo fabrics to instead feature craft-and-celebration
        centers offering merchandise for 'crafts and party planning needs
        along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area
        of life's celebrations' such as weddings and birthdays, WalMart
        spokeswoman Tara Raddohl said.

        WalMart intends to open as many as 280 U.S. supercenters and
        discount stores this year and remodel several hundred more. The
        switch also will affect a 'small number' of WalMart's existing
        stores, but Ms Raddohl declined to quantify the amount.

        ...WalMart likely is moving away from fabrics because the department
        doesn't lure significant traffic into its stores and doesn't yield
        the same margins as other merchandise....EndQuote

        john