RE: [Hammock Camping] aluminum stakes in cold ground

  • Nathan Ruth
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11 10:21 AM
      I broke one of my golite Y stakes last week trying to get it out of the
      ground. I hammered it in about 4". I broke it off trying to pull them out
      with pliers. I left the others in the ground. I figured after the 6" of
      snow on the ground the next night melts, they should be easy to pull out.

      Nate
    • Bill C.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11 10:21 AM
        Hello , Maybe if you gave the stake a good tap to break the grip of
        the soil it might work, kinda like an impact hammer.
      • michael thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11 11:51 AM
          try carring a tool to twist the stake before you try to remove it..i have
          worked in artic like conditions and the bast way i found to remove a stuck
          stake was to take a box end wrench and use the closed end to lock onto the
          stake hook..then gently twisting i was able to rock the stake back and forth
          untill it came free hope this helps

          >From: "Bill C." <theocles45@...>
          >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: aluminum stakes in cold ground
          >Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:21:36 -0000
          >
          >Hello , Maybe if you gave the stake a good tap to break the grip of
          >the soil it might work, kinda like an impact hammer.

          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
        • Stuhr, Tim
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13 5:40 AM
            You can't twist MSR Groundhog stakes because they are made 2 sided. Like 3 fins joined together in the middle along one edge. Twisting them will probably break them.

            Stoikurt