RE: [Hammock Camping] aluminum stakes in cold ground

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
      Pour boiling water on the stake. Aluminum is one of the best conductors of
      heat we carry, so if you pour slowly, and give the heat a chance to soak
      down the stake, I bet it would come right out. I can't try it to tell you
      tho, because I'm typing this in my shorts and a T-shirt in southern Florida
      where it's in the mid-70's. (Just had to get my shot in before hurricane
      season puts the shoe on the other foot!)

      Cheers,

      Carey

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
        I broke one of my golite Y stakes last week trying to get it out of the
        ground. I hammered it in about 4". I broke it off trying to pull them out
        with pliers. I left the others in the ground. I figured after the 6" of
        snow on the ground the next night melts, they should be easy to pull out.

        Nate
      • Bill C.
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
          Hello , Maybe if you gave the stake a good tap to break the grip of
          the soil it might work, kinda like an impact hammer.
        • michael thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
            try carring a tool to twist the stake before you try to remove it..i have
            worked in artic like conditions and the bast way i found to remove a stuck
            stake was to take a box end wrench and use the closed end to lock onto the
            stake hook..then gently twisting i was able to rock the stake back and forth
            untill it came free hope this helps

            >From: "Bill C." <theocles45@...>
            >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: aluminum stakes in cold ground
            >Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:21:36 -0000
            >
            >Hello , Maybe if you gave the stake a good tap to break the grip of
            >the soil it might work, kinda like an impact hammer.

            http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
          • Stuhr, Tim
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
              You can't twist MSR Groundhog stakes because they are made 2 sided. Like 3 fins joined together in the middle along one edge. Twisting them will probably break them.

              Stoikurt