aluminum stakes in cold ground

  • d2aisy2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
      I don't do much winter camping (nights are too long), but have been
      doing a lot of backyard testing lately. My homemade down-insulated
      hammock is comfortable down to 10 degrees or so if winds are calm, and
      I've been working on a modified hex-shaped tarp that folds down into a
      tetrahedron around the hammock to block the wind if necessary. (Yes, I
      expect condensation to be an issue.) For my last test I had to pound
      my aluminum stakes in through several inches of frozen soil. What I
      didn't anticipate was the difficulty getting them out again. I
      theorize that the aluminum, being a good heat conductor, helped the
      ground freeze to an even greater depth around the stake, locking it in
      place. Moreover, the aluminum became brittle in the cold. I broke
      two stakes trying to pull them out. I untied the ropes on the other
      two to take the tarp down, and the stakes are still out there. (It was
      10 below this morning.)
      Anybody have similar experiences? I'm using MSR Groundhog stakes,
      which I like a lot for 3-season camping.
      David
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
        I tried, unsuccessfully to remove a couple wood stakes in the ground no
        more than 3 inches, I began to understand that I would break the stake
        before I got it out.

        1-foot pieces of steel rebar are cheap and really strong for backyard tests.

        Rick

        d2aisy2000 wrote:
        > I don't do much winter camping (nights are too long), but have been
        > doing a lot of backyard testing lately. My homemade down-insulated
        > hammock is comfortable down to 10 degrees or so if winds are calm, and
        > I've been working on a modified hex-shaped tarp that folds down into a
        > tetrahedron around the hammock to block the wind if necessary. (Yes, I
        > expect condensation to be an issue.) For my last test I had to pound
        > my aluminum stakes in through several inches of frozen soil. What I
        > didn't anticipate was the difficulty getting them out again. I
        > theorize that the aluminum, being a good heat conductor, helped the
        > ground freeze to an even greater depth around the stake, locking it in
        > place. Moreover, the aluminum became brittle in the cold. I broke
        > two stakes trying to pull them out. I untied the ropes on the other
        > two to take the tarp down, and the stakes are still out there. (It was
        > 10 below this morning.)
        > Anybody have similar experiences? I'm using MSR Groundhog stakes,
        > which I like a lot for 3-season camping.
        > David

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
          If I had to get a stubborn one out, I would mainly use a hammer and vice
          grips. But if I got desperate, I might try heating the exposed end with
          a propane torch. I wonder if that would work or would just cause more
          problems. With Aluminum, I'd guess that the metal would melt before the
          stake came free.

          Rick

          Rick wrote:
          > I tried, unsuccessfully to remove a couple wood stakes in the ground no
          > more than 3 inches, I began to understand that I would break the stake
          > before I got it out.
          >
          > 1-foot pieces of steel rebar are cheap and really strong for backyard tests.
          >
          > Rick

        • Dick Matthews
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
            David,

            I have used my ice ax more for hacking out stakes than for any other reason.

            Frozen ground: At 10 below the ground should be frozen deeper than any
            reasonable length stake.

            Al gutter spikes - 39 cents - .5 oz. Might want to slip a washer on to
            hold the line a little better. Use a crowbar to remove.

            A 40d nail might be more durable.

            Dick Matthews

            d2aisy2000 wrote:

            > I don't do much winter camping (nights are too long), but have been
            > doing a lot of backyard testing lately. My homemade down-insulated
            > hammock is comfortable down to 10 degrees or so if winds are calm, and
            > I've been working on a modified hex-shaped tarp that folds down into a
            > tetrahedron around the hammock to block the wind if necessary. (Yes, I
            > expect condensation to be an issue.) For my last test I had to pound
            > my aluminum stakes in through several inches of frozen soil. What I
            > didn't anticipate was the difficulty getting them out again. I
            > theorize that the aluminum, being a good heat conductor, helped the
            > ground freeze to an even greater depth around the stake, locking it in
            > place. Moreover, the aluminum became brittle in the cold. I broke
            > two stakes trying to pull them out. I untied the ropes on the other
            > two to take the tarp down, and the stakes are still out there. (It was
            > 10 below this morning.)
            > Anybody have similar experiences? I'm using MSR Groundhog stakes,
            > which I like a lot for 3-season camping.
            > David

          • Carey Parks
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
              Pour boiling water on the stake. Aluminum is one of the best conductors of
              heat we carry, so if you pour slowly, and give the heat a chance to soak
              down the stake, I bet it would come right out. I can't try it to tell you
              tho, because I'm typing this in my shorts and a T-shirt in southern Florida
              where it's in the mid-70's. (Just had to get my shot in before hurricane
              season puts the shoe on the other foot!)

              Cheers,

              Carey

              Rick wrote:
              > I tried, unsuccessfully to remove a couple wood stakes in the ground no
              > more than 3 inches, I began to understand that I would break the stake
              > before I got it out.
              >
              > 1-foot pieces of steel rebar are cheap and really strong for backyard
              tests.

              > Rick

            • Nathan Ruth
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
                I broke one of my golite Y stakes last week trying to get it out of the
                ground. I hammered it in about 4". I broke it off trying to pull them out
                with pliers. I left the others in the ground. I figured after the 6" of
                snow on the ground the next night melts, they should be easy to pull out.

                Nate
              • Bill C.
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
                  Hello , Maybe if you gave the stake a good tap to break the grip of
                  the soil it might work, kinda like an impact hammer.
                • michael thomas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 11, 2007
                    try carring a tool to twist the stake before you try to remove it..i have
                    worked in artic like conditions and the bast way i found to remove a stuck
                    stake was to take a box end wrench and use the closed end to lock onto the
                    stake hook..then gently twisting i was able to rock the stake back and forth
                    untill it came free hope this helps

                    >From: "Bill C." <theocles45@...>
                    >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: aluminum stakes in cold ground
                    >Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:21:36 -0000
                    >
                    >Hello , Maybe if you gave the stake a good tap to break the grip of
                    >the soil it might work, kinda like an impact hammer.

                    http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
                  • Stuhr, Tim
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
                      You can't twist MSR Groundhog stakes because they are made 2 sided. Like 3 fins joined together in the middle along one edge. Twisting them will probably break them.

                      Stoikurt