Re: [Hammock Camping] changing rooms

  • Keith YOung
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 8, 2007
      Long ago and far away, my 1st wife showed me (male) how to make, tie and wear a lungi. Over the years, I'd forgotten. For men, tie around the waist or hips; girls tie just above the breast. I agree, the older and more-washed, the better. I had one once of silk ... utter sensous luxury.

      By the way, a modern Scottish Kilt might also do the trick. No, they don't have to be 16 feet of heavy wool--2 of mine are of synthetic, fast-dry material. Check out USA kilts: www.USAkilts.com . Also google under 'sarong' which is a uni-sex garment, too.

      Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
      Carey,

      You need a lungi. You can make one out of any two yards of cloth that's
      at least a yard wide. I like Madras Plaid (more like the originals used
      by men in Bangladesh): it's cotton, colorful, light weight, and doubles
      as a towel, pillow, dirty-laundry tote, turban, pot-grips, emergency
      fire-starter...

      Google lungi and its various spelling (Burmese, Bangladeshi, Thai,
      Indian) to find out how to wear it.

      As a changing room. Pull the wetsuit down as far as you can while still
      being decent. Pull the lungi over your head. Hold the top part (teeth
      are great) and let the rest fall down to cover the rest of you. Pull
      wetsuit on down and out from under the lungi. Tie lungi around your
      waist while you dry off and air out.

      I find a lungi wonderfully comfortable for sleeping in. Like t-shirts
      and jeans, older are better.

      I'm female and I've used a lungi many times for changing in mixed
      company. A bunch of California or Hawaiian beach boys have discovered
      lungis as post-surfing attire. They've got a website somewhere, but I
      can't remember their name or the link.

      CL

      Carey Parks wrote:
      > The biggest drawback for me to hammocking is not having a
      > good place to change clothes. After a day of paddling in the sun and salt, a
      > nice bath in the sea and a quick rinse with a couple cups of fresh water as
      > the sun is going down are wonderful. But on all but the hottest nights you
      > have to get out of the wet swimsuit. When alone or with a few guys just
      > change. in a mixed crowd I have to beg to use a tent since people could be
      > collecting wood in the trees etc. Have any of your solved the privacy issue?
      > Hang a tarp or two? Do you wiggle and change in the hammock? Possible but
      > starting out with a wet salty swim suit is going to get the hammock wet, and
      > in the humidity here (75% is a dry evening, norms are more like 90% when the
      > sun drops) I don't want to get my hammock wet.

      arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body – but rather
      to skid in sideways, barely in time, a chunk of chocolate in one hand, a nearly-empty bottle of 15-year old single-malt scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up but still erect and dribbling, dirty, totally worn out and screaming – WOOHOO, what a ride!"

      Keith Young, Ph.D. (retired)
      Philadelphia, PA
      Riding a 2004 Suzuki Burgman 650
      named The DEMON DUCK of DOOM
      Swinging a TreckLight hammock, and
      being a DINK-on-FIRE.

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 3, 2007
        Lungi's are long enough that they supply more than adequate coverage
        from armpits down.

        When changing from wet to dry, I start at the bottom. Shoes and socks
        off and then feet into flipflops or back into the loose shoes. Then, I
        remove however much is decent. If it's cold, I keep the top half fully
        covered. Then I step into the lungi and pull it up to my waist and a
        little above. I'll hold up the front with my teeth and drop remaining
        bottom layers down. Then I tie up the lungi around my waist and step
        out of the bottom layers now around my ankles. Now, I loosen up the top
        layers and then I loosen up the lungi. I bring the lungi up to my
        armpits underneath my shirt or sweater or whatever. I bring it up from
        the back first, and then from the front. Bringing it up around the
        front can be a bit tricky, especially tying it off (basically, make one
        big fold that is tight around your chest and overlaps the front, then
        roll down the top a time or two to hold it all up). Now I can remove
        all the top layers. When it's cold, my wool beret usually stays on for
        all this. If I was really dirty, I can insert some bathing (i.e. wipe
        downs or tea-cup bath) at each stage. Once I've removed all the wet
        clothes, I'm now in a mostly dry or slightly damp lungi and am covered
        from arm pits to knees (almost). I may tighten up the lungi and wear it
        that way for a while or I can pull a t-shirt on over it all and drop the
        lungi to my waist and retie it. I generally feel the lungi is on more
        securely around my waist than when it's under my arm pits.

        Anyway, the lungi's the easiest and most comfortable thing to wear.

        In Bangladesh, the men do use lungi's to ensure privacy while on the
        toilet (which can be the middle of the field--relief and fertilizing at
        the same time). Women would use their sari's the same way. After
        bathing in a river in the old lungi, men will change into a clean and
        dry lungi by pulling it on over their head and down over the old lungi.
        They can drop the old lungi and tie up the new one without getting the
        new one wet. Women can change saris (rather more complicated) the same way.

        Even though I've done most of my hiking at altitude (2000-4000 m), I've
        lived almost all my life in the sub-tropics: hot and humid. Thin cotton
        dries fast and stays cool.

        CL

        C C Wayah wrote:
        > A kilt would be fine for a man? but not for me
        > Rogene

        Cara Lin Bridgman

        P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
        Longjing Sinjhuang