Re: Improved 4 wrap knot

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2003
      Here'a another knot variation which I've used on large-diameter
      trees, when there is only enough strap for 1-2 wraps. I tie off
      the webbing with a knot very similar to tying a man's tie. You
      go around both sides of the hammock line and through the back side
      of the loop (the 2 ends that go around the tree) repeatedly making
      a triangular-shaped knot. Tie it off by bringing the free end
      through the last triangular knot wrap. You have to tie this with
      some space between the webbing loops and the tree. Then it works
      light a slipknot and tightens when you load the hammock. Works
      best with only one loop because otherwise there will be slack in the
      outer wraps when it tightens up around the tree.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2003
        Message
        Thanks Rick for the pics of that knot you've been talking about.  It looks great.  I've often used the same idea when there is not enough strap to complete my 4 wrap knot.  On large diameter trees when the strap is way too short for the 4 wrap knot or even too short for your quick-release loop, I've actually put a 1/4-1/2" diameter stick into the knot before tightening it--that way, the stick can be easily wiggled out leaving just enough slack to undo the rest of the knot in the morning.  In the field, of course things are seldom ideal and thus 'necessity can be the mother of invention'   ....Ed