Back to the dirt

  • Brian Lewis
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 7, 2007
      I'm going back to sleeping on the ground. No bitterness there, just
      a pragmatic decision based on factors for me personally.

      Somewhat long layout of my thought process follows; stop reading now
      if you're not interested.

      I did a 10-day PCT section hike (150 miles) in August using my
      Hennesy UL Backpacker, and slept a little cold one night, plus got a
      sort of crick in my back that was more or less annoying on various
      nights. Because of the "slept a little cold" part, I determined to
      try out some alternatives at home this winter.

      In my first attempt I slept warm enough (it wasn't as cold a night as
      I had hoped) but I still got that crick in my back (middle-of-back
      pain, pretty uncomfortable) --- to the point where I decided to bag
      it and come in to bed at 4 am.

      This got me (re)thinking seriously about the trade-offs of hammock
      versus tent. I know the decision won't be a popular one in this
      group, but I thought some here might be interested in my thought
      process --- whether you agree with it or not.

      Advantages of hammock camping:
      - Can put up almost anywhere (in Western Oregon or Washington), don't
      need level ground
      - ~no competition for a limited number of good tenting spots when
      hiking with tenters
      - No ground clearing needed
      - Apart from temperature and/or wind, a guaranteed experience, i.e.,
      sleep the same anywhere
      - No risk of water pooling around base of tent, as you're not on the
      ground

      Advantages of going to a solo ground tent:
      - More stable place to be, can easily move around, get dressed inside
      - Less risk (for me, anyway) of back problems; I typically get a
      crick in the back in my hammock (key factor)
      - More overall comfortable; can get into more sleeping positions, can
      sit upright and get dressed inside, stuff doesn't slide around inside
      - Warmer: ground is inherently an insulator. Challenging to keep
      underside warm in hammock, particularly so if trying to be pack-
      weight neutral with an equivalent tent or bivy option
      - Faster, easier setup
      - Can probably put more stuff out of the weather (in tent or
      vestibule)
      - Easier to get up in the middle of the night, just generally easier
      to get into and out of a tent
      - Lighter weight --- even with both a full-length CCF pad and a
      thermarest the weight would be the same as my lightest possible
      hammock configuration (one that's not certain to be warm enough)
      - A little less complicated --- less "moving parts" so to speak, and
      less re-learning curve each season (how to tie knots, order of
      putting up the pieces, etc)
      - Site selection perhaps less sensitive to where wind is coming from
      - No worries about hiking in areas where there might be less (or no)
      trees, such as large southern stretches of the PCT, beaches, higher
      altitudes, etc

      The advantages of going back to the dirt are significant. What they
      mainly boil down to for me are (a) I still seem to get a sore back in
      the hammock but sleep fine on the ground, and (b) for the temperature
      ranges I want to hike in and with the configurations I'd likely use,
      I can save a full pound, maybe slightly more. With a base pack
      weight of just under 18 pounds (soon to be under 17 pounds!), saving
      a full pound is significant.

      I think I'll keep the hammock and likely use it for some solo hikes,
      particularly when I'm hiking by myself or if I should ever hike with
      only hammock campers, and particularly when not going into higher
      elevations in summer months. But with companions who use tents or
      bivy's, the benefit of "camp anywhere" is gone anyway, my site
      selection is limited by what they can do, not what I can do.

      I'm not looking for anyone to talk me out of this or anything --- I
      just ordered a $200 solo tent (Tarptent Contrail,
      http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html), but if anyone has any
      observations here I'll certainly keep my mind open (and stay
      subscribed to this list for a few more days <grin>). I'm not,
      however, open to the idea of buying (or making) an entirely different
      hammock in hopes that my back would tolerate it better. It might,
      but ... ultimately this has turned out to be a less-than-successful
      experiment for me and I've got to limit my losses at some point!

      I appreciate all that I've learned here, not all of which was limited
      to hammock camping. This is a great and helpful group, and my thanks
      to all the contributors.

      Brian Lewis
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 3 5:55 AM
        Lungi's are long enough that they supply more than adequate coverage
        from armpits down.

        When changing from wet to dry, I start at the bottom. Shoes and socks
        off and then feet into flipflops or back into the loose shoes. Then, I
        remove however much is decent. If it's cold, I keep the top half fully
        covered. Then I step into the lungi and pull it up to my waist and a
        little above. I'll hold up the front with my teeth and drop remaining
        bottom layers down. Then I tie up the lungi around my waist and step
        out of the bottom layers now around my ankles. Now, I loosen up the top
        layers and then I loosen up the lungi. I bring the lungi up to my
        armpits underneath my shirt or sweater or whatever. I bring it up from
        the back first, and then from the front. Bringing it up around the
        front can be a bit tricky, especially tying it off (basically, make one
        big fold that is tight around your chest and overlaps the front, then
        roll down the top a time or two to hold it all up). Now I can remove
        all the top layers. When it's cold, my wool beret usually stays on for
        all this. If I was really dirty, I can insert some bathing (i.e. wipe
        downs or tea-cup bath) at each stage. Once I've removed all the wet
        clothes, I'm now in a mostly dry or slightly damp lungi and am covered
        from arm pits to knees (almost). I may tighten up the lungi and wear it
        that way for a while or I can pull a t-shirt on over it all and drop the
        lungi to my waist and retie it. I generally feel the lungi is on more
        securely around my waist than when it's under my arm pits.

        Anyway, the lungi's the easiest and most comfortable thing to wear.

        In Bangladesh, the men do use lungi's to ensure privacy while on the
        toilet (which can be the middle of the field--relief and fertilizing at
        the same time). Women would use their sari's the same way. After
        bathing in a river in the old lungi, men will change into a clean and
        dry lungi by pulling it on over their head and down over the old lungi.
        They can drop the old lungi and tie up the new one without getting the
        new one wet. Women can change saris (rather more complicated) the same way.

        Even though I've done most of my hiking at altitude (2000-4000 m), I've
        lived almost all my life in the sub-tropics: hot and humid. Thin cotton
        dries fast and stays cool.

        CL

        C C Wayah wrote:
        > A kilt would be fine for a man? but not for me
        > Rogene

        Cara Lin Bridgman

        P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
        Longjing Sinjhuang