Re: [Hammock Camping] Nylon Taffeta fabric available in SE Asia

  • renejosejpadro
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
      Hi Brindon, Everybody,

      I forgot to mention that you can use ropes for wall climbing for
      hammock support. You can also use nylon webbings/straps but they do
      stretch a bit but they will do fine. You can also use nylon ropes
      sold commercially (the kind asian farmers use to tie their water
      buffalo) though the braidedtype are a bit difficult to find. As for
      the mosquito net, the nylon type are cheap. Buy from fabric stores.
      They usually come in in long panels 60 in. wide (1.5m) at 20Php
      (USD .25) and in different color.

      Rene

      P.s. Do you live somewhere in the Philippines?

      (http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html)It has 2
      > large pockets at the hammock ends near the hammock support/rope
      and 2 medium
      > sized pockets with velcro closure in the middle. The bugnet is
      like the one
      > used by Mirage

      (http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/index.ht
      ml)
      > As for the tarp/rainfly i made one out of waterproof tafetta
      (actually a
      > silicone
      > coated nylon fabric for umbrella). Its a square one 2.5m x 2.5m or
      8ft x 8ft.
      > pitched diagonally along the ridgeline. Instruction for making
      tarps are also
      > found in Ed speer's website or JRB's. It has 4 tie points and can
      be set up
      > fast too. You can buy all the materials locally (Philippines). I
      bought mine
      > from a mall (fabric/textile section) and from fabric store. The
      ones being used
      > by the Phil. Army is camo in color and i was not able to find
      taffeta in camo
      > patterns. I believe stores/malls in Cebu and manila do carry the
      items
      > mentioned. You can also seal the seams of the tarp by diluting
      silicone sealer
      > with gasoline and applying it to the seams using cheap brush. I
      hope to send
      > pictures of my hammocks later. Sorry cant stay longer, my students
      needs
      > attending to.
      >
      > Hope to hear from you soon!
      >
      > Rene
      >

      > Quoting Brindon John Quinitio <brindon_john@...>:
      >

      > > Hi Rene. Thanks for the information. Actually I have been
      thinking of making
      > > a hammock out of nylon taffeta too. its good to know that it
      really is
      > > suitable for a hammock. I already have a hammock though. A
      friend of mine
      > > from the Philippine army gave a a military issue. it is quite
      nice and cozy
      > > but the cord is not good and I was wondering where to buy a
      substitute and
      > > what kind is nice. It also doesn't have a mosquito net and tarp.
      I was
      > > thinking of making a tarpo made of nylon taffeta. Are you still
      here in the
      > > Philippines? If so, where? And do you have a mosquito net?
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > > brindon john

      Asia

      > > Hi!
      > >
      > > I read in the archives that "Brindon_john" was asking for
      suitable

      > > materials for camping hammock in tropics. I lived in the
      Phillipines

      > > and have been making camping hammocks for several months now
      (speer

      > > type). The material i used for hammock body is nylon taffeta. It
      is

      > > not a "rip-stop" type. There are no reinforcing strands that are
      found

      > > in rip-stop nylon but you can remedy this by using two layers
      for your

      > > hammock.It's cheap, about PhP50 per meter@ 1.5m width (thats
      about 1

      > > usUS$). The material is quite strong, breathable, and does not
      stretch

      > > (if layered). Dries fast too. Ive seen a hammock using this
      materials

      > > (in camo color) being sold by a military contractor in the
      Island of

      > > Mindanao (remember the Abu Sayaff?). If it is of interest to
      anybody,

      > > the communist rebels in the philippines are using home made
      hammocks

      > > out of ricesack for many years now. A cheap waterproof/water
      repellent

      > > material for rainfly/tarp is also available known locally as
      > >
      > > waterproof tafetta. Usually this material comes in a solid color
      with

      > > silver or gray flipside (cheap, Php65 or US$1.10 per meter). Ive
      been

      > > using hammocks and rainfly made out of this material for many
      months

      > > now (even during tropical downpour)and found them strong and
      reliable

      > > for use in tropical climates.
      > >
      > > hope to hear from you!
      > >

      > > Rene

      > > <!--
      > >
      > > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-
      family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}