Re: [Hammock Camping] Nylon Taffeta fabric available in SE Asia

  • Brindon John Quinitio
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
      Hi Rene. Thanks for the information. Actually I have been thinking of making a hammock out of nylon taffeta too. its good to know that it really is suitable for a hammock. I already have a hammock though. A friend of mine from the Philippine army gave a a military issue. it is quite nice and cozy but the cord is not good and I was wondering where to buy a substitute and what kind is nice. It also doesn't have a mosquito net and tarp. I was thinking of making a tarpo made of nylon taffeta. Are you still here in the Philippines? If so, where? And do you have a mosquito net?

      Best regards,
      brindon john

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
        Hi Brindon John,
        Im in Mindanao Philippines and the weather was really cooperating with my
        hammock and tarp test ( it has been raining for a week now!). My hammock is a
        speer type with 2 layers of nylon taffeta. It is light, machine washable., and
        breathable. It is about 3 meters long with the ends whipped like the one shown
        in Just Jeff's page (http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html)It has 2
        large pockets at the hammock ends near the hammock support/rope and 2 medium
        sized pockets with velcro closure in the middle. The bugnet is like the one
        used by Mirage
        (http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/index.html)
        As for the tarp/rainfly i made one out of waterproof tafetta(actually a
        silicone
        coated nylon fabric for umbrella). Its a square one 2.5m x 2.5m or 8ft x 8ft.
        pitched diagonally along the ridgeline. Instruction for making tarps are also
        found in Ed speer's website or JRB's. It has 4 tie points and can be set up
        fast too. You can buy all the materials locally (Philippines). I bought mine
        from a mall (fabric/textile section) and from fabric store. The ones being used
        by the Phil. Army is camo in color and i was not able to find taffeta in camo
        patterns. I believe stores/malls in Cebu and manila do carry the items
        mentioned. You can also seal the seams of the tarp by diluting silicone sealer
        with gasoline and applying it to the seams using cheap brush. I hope to send
        pictures of my hammocks later. Sorry cant stay longer, my students needs
        attending to.

        Hope to hear from you soon!

        Rene

        Quoting Brindon John Quinitio <brindon_john@...>:

        > Hi Rene. Thanks for the information. Actually I have been thinking of making
        > a hammock out of nylon taffeta too. its good to know that it really is
        > suitable for a hammock. I already have a hammock though. A friend of mine
        > from the Philippine army gave a a military issue. it is quite nice and cozy
        > but the cord is not good and I was wondering where to buy a substitute and
        > what kind is nice. It also doesn't have a mosquito net and tarp. I was
        > thinking of making a tarpo made of nylon taffeta. Are you still here in the
        > Philippines? If so, where? And do you have a mosquito net?
        >
        > Best regards,
        > brindon john

        Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
        Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
      • renejosejpadro
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
          Hi Brindon, Everybody,

          I forgot to mention that you can use ropes for wall climbing for
          hammock support. You can also use nylon webbings/straps but they do
          stretch a bit but they will do fine. You can also use nylon ropes
          sold commercially (the kind asian farmers use to tie their water
          buffalo) though the braidedtype are a bit difficult to find. As for
          the mosquito net, the nylon type are cheap. Buy from fabric stores.
          They usually come in in long panels 60 in. wide (1.5m) at 20Php
          (USD .25) and in different color.

          Rene

          P.s. Do you live somewhere in the Philippines?