Re: rope

  • Bill Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      Try Backpackinglight.com -- Spectra Aircore Plus listed in their
      shelter section. Specs: AirCore Plus- weight oz/ft 0.0360, diameter
      0.1250, breaking strength - 1109#. Currentyl Backpackinglight is not
      showing it available. I sent a query to them to see if they are
      planning to stock it in the future or other sources. REI has carried a
      Spectra "accessory" cord with a breaking strenth of 1500# that is a
      little heavier and stiffer than the Aircore Plus.

      Bill T.
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "straightwire2004"

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        <jfleming@...> wrote:

        > Anyone have a source for the spectrum rope used in a Hennessy hammock?
        > What size and strength?

        Hennessy uses several different rope types and strengths. When I look
        at his spec sheet http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm
        the only spectra core I see is for 1450 lb test. The West Marine store
        near me use to carry spools of Yale Pulse Line that had a spectra core
        but looking at their web site I don't see but a couple of the diameters
        listed. This other web site still has it and it is listed as 1400 lb
        test for the 5/32 inch diameter and 1800 lb test for the 3/16 inch
        http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e867.asp . I don't know the
        particular rope that Hennessy uses but these should be close.
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          I am considering emailing HH to see if they would sell cord to me.

          I came into possession of a Lawson Hammock and I am feeling that
          replacing all the rope on it with the spectra cord will reduce weight,
          but plus allow me to attach some lines that I can use with tree
          huggers.

          TV
        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
            If you just need some to hang your hammock, try calling Tom Hennessy. I
            asked him a while ago if I could purchase some for a friend's hammock and he
            agreed. I never made the purchase however, since the friend solved the
            problem another way. IIRC, Tom's price was quite fair compared to the marine
            stores.

            > Anyone have a source for the spectrum rope used in a Hennessy hammock?
            > What size and strength?

            Hennessy uses several different rope types and strengths. When I look
            at his spec sheet http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm
            the only spectra core I see is for 1450 lb test. The West Marine store
            near me use to carry spools of Yale Pulse Line that had a spectra core
            but looking at their web site I don't see but a couple of the diameters
            listed. This other web site still has it and it is listed as 1400 lb
            test for the 5/32 inch diameter and 1800 lb test for the 3/16 inch
            http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e867.asp . I don't know the
            particular rope that Hennessy uses but these should be close.

          • straightwire2004
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "straightwire2004"
              > <jfleming@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Anyone have a source for the spectrum rope used in a Hennessy
              hammock?

              > Hennessy usWhat size and strength?es several different rope types
              and strengths. When I look
              > at his spec sheet
              http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm
              > the only spectra core I see is for 1450 lb test. The West Marine
              store
              > near me use to carry spools of Yale Pulse Line that had a spectra
              core
              > but looking at their web site I don't see but a couple of the
              diameters
              > listed. This other web site still has it and it is listed as 1400
              lb
              > test for the 5/32 inch diameter and 1800 lb test for the 3/16 inch
              > http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e867.asp . I don't know the
              > particular rope that Hennessy uses but these should be close.

              thanks Dave, I HAVE UL A SIM.I GOT A LAGER THAN NEEDED ROPE BEFOR.
            • Carey Parks
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                Call them. The phone number is on their web site. That worked best for me.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                  For those of you who can wait until May, you might consider ordering ropes from Tom Hennessy or web strapping, etc., from Ed Speer with a request to pick up these items at Trail Days. Let them know ahead of time so that they have enough extra stock on hand...

                  Rosaleen

                  Re: rope
                  Posted by: "Carey Parks" cjp129@...<mailto:cjp129@...> parkscarey