Re: Hammock Failures

  • gordon_human
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
      Give that the failure was near the foot end, I wonder if you are
      pushing yourself up the hammock length, using your your feet, each
      time you move around - the whole inert mass of your body is
      transferred through your heels to a relatively small fabric area as
      you push to overcome the friction and move yourself....

      Just a thought.....

      Gordon
    • Bill Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
        Thanks for the suggestions.

        BTW I weigh 175#. Very well it may be that I've been pushing off
        with my sock heels to move up in the hammock that may have
        overstessed the fabric. Curriously, two of the failures occured on
        first night on the trail, first on the Quachita then on the Colorado
        trail. So, I just converted to being a ground sleeper with my K-mart
        blue pad and continued on. What was puzzling was what that the
        failures occured with low usage <10 nights. Probably, I just need to
        stick with a heavier material.

        Bill Thomas

        > only possibilities i can think of are that maybe even the 1st two
        fabrics were even thinner, lighter fabrics than you thought.
        > the 1.2 is pushing it for sure if you just used one layer.
        > maybe you were unfortunate enough to get fabrics that had weak
        spots from when they were made. that is puzzling.
        > do you raise up on your elbows when getting out or moving around
        in the hammock?
        > also, what is your weight?
        >
        > Bill Thomas <hamish54@...> wrote:
        > Thank you to all of the good ideas & info from the groups
        members.

        > I need ideas on possible failure causes of 3 hammocks I made. The
        first
        > one was made of 1.8 oz ripstop, second a Wally World $1/yd
        polyester
        > muslin, and 3rd was of 1.2 ripstop nylon. All were based on
        Speer's

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
          If pushing off might be the problem, hang the foot end a little higher might
          fix it, and make the hammock a little longer.

          Ralph