Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Failures

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
      only possibilities i can think of are that maybe even the 1st two fabrics were even thinner, lighter fabrics than you thought.
      the 1.2 is pushing it for sure if you just used one layer.
      maybe you were unfortunate enough to get fabrics that had weak spots from when they were made. that is puzzling.
      do you raise up on your elbows when getting out or moving around in the hammock?
      also, what is your weight?

      Bill Thomas <hamish54@...> wrote:
      Thank you to all of the good ideas & info from the groups members.

      I need ideas on possible failure causes of 3 hammocks I made. The first
      one was made of 1.8 oz ripstop, second a Wally World $1/yd polyester
      muslin, and 3rd was of 1.2 ripstop nylon. All were based on Speer's
      design except instead of knotting the ends, they were gathered and
      frapped to form a loop as the HH hammocks are. The spectra suspension
      cord was tied to the loop. All of the failures were at the foot end of
      the hammocks from 10" to 2' from the end. What's puzzling is that the
      most use any of them had was about 10 nights, they weren't left exposed
      to the sum, and I always remove my shoes before laying down. They were
      stored in snakeskins inside. Currently I'm using a travel hammock with
      no problems but would like to resolve my failure problems to make my
      own.

      Bill T.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
        You don't specifically say that you hemmed the fabric all the way around.

        If you didn't, that would be the likely cause of failure.

        Tom
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
          Bill,

          Like Tim I would need more hints than you gave and would also be
          suspicious of whether or not your fabric was just not strong enough
          to hold you. I assume your 1.8 oz ripstop is the more familiar 1.9
          oz ripstop nylon with DWR and I would think it would be as durable,
          if not more, than what I think a travel hammock is. What I recall as
          a travel hammock uses lots of small cords on each end of the
          hammock. I haven't had experience with hammock failures like you are
          having, but I inspect them and look for problem areas from time to
          time and have retired ropes and hammocks that looked troublesome
          before they failed. I would have thought you would have noticed
          problems or problem areas before, or as they totally failed, and had
          some idea as to what the cause was.

          Pardon this as I am an old engineer and I have learned that sometimes
          people don't understand fundamental concepts as well as they think
          they do. And sometimes I bring up things that I question whether
          people have overlooked and they haven't. In regards to failures,
          when materials are stressed and they survive a test at a certain
          stress level, it doesn't mean they can survive that same stress over
          and over again. Actually, the closer the stress was at the test
          level to the maximum that material could survive in its new and
          unused state, the more likely it will fail at repeated tests at that
          same test level. Climbing ropes, parachutes, etc are usually
          monitored and retired after so many usages because of this and in
          labs where materials are stress tested the samples that are tested
          are routinely retired and not used for anything else. Lightweight
          backpacking hammocks are not made out of materials that are strong
          enough to last a lifetime of heavy use, they need to be treated as if
          they are vulnerable to pokes and punctures when they are weighted by
          an occupant and that ropes and straps can be damaged by sharp bends
          and edges. They need to be inspected and repaired or replaced as
          necessary... when you see something that looks like it is weakening,
          pay attention to it because that usually indicates that a failure is
          likely to occur at that spot with repeated usage. In all of the
          hammock failures I recall hearing about, the person involved was able
          to walk away with only their dignity somewhat damaged, but there is a
          serious risk when a hammock fails so please inspect your hammocks and
          keep them in good working condition. Using hammocks until they fail
          is a risk that folks should be discouraged from doing, I know that Ed
          Speer and Karn have done that but it was a risk they knowingly took
          to learn more about the useful live off the hammocks Ed manufacturers.

          Dave

          > only possibilities i can think of are that maybe even the 1st two
          fabrics were even thinner, lighter fabrics than you thought.
          > the 1.2 is pushing it for sure if you just used one layer.
          > maybe you were unfortunate enough to get fabrics that had weak
          spots from when they were made. that is puzzling.
          > do you raise up on your elbows when getting out or moving around
          in the hammock?
          > also, what is your weight?
          >
          > Bill Thomas <hamish54@...> wrote:
          > Thank you to all of the good ideas & info from the groups
          members.

          > I need ideas on possible failure causes of 3 hammocks I made. The
          first
          > one was made of 1.8 oz ripstop, second a Wally World $1/yd
          polyester
          > muslin, and 3rd was of 1.2 ripstop nylon. All were based on Speer's
          > design except instead of knotting the ends, they were gathered and
          > frapped to form a loop as the HH hammocks are. The spectra
          suspension
          > cord was tied to the loop. All of the failures were at the foot end
          of
          > the hammocks from 10" to 2' from the end. What's puzzling is that
          the
          > most use any of them had was about 10 nights, they weren't left
          exposed
          > to the sum, and I always remove my shoes before laying down. They
          were
          > stored in snakeskins inside. Currently I'm using a travel hammock
          with
          > no problems but would like to resolve my failure problems to make
          my
          > own.
          >
          > Bill T.

        • gordon_human
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
            Give that the failure was near the foot end, I wonder if you are
            pushing yourself up the hammock length, using your your feet, each
            time you move around - the whole inert mass of your body is
            transferred through your heels to a relatively small fabric area as
            you push to overcome the friction and move yourself....

            Just a thought.....

            Gordon
          • Bill Thomas
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
              Thanks for the suggestions.

              BTW I weigh 175#. Very well it may be that I've been pushing off
              with my sock heels to move up in the hammock that may have
              overstessed the fabric. Curriously, two of the failures occured on
              first night on the trail, first on the Quachita then on the Colorado
              trail. So, I just converted to being a ground sleeper with my K-mart
              blue pad and continued on. What was puzzling was what that the
              failures occured with low usage <10 nights. Probably, I just need to
              stick with a heavier material.

              Bill Thomas

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
                If pushing off might be the problem, hang the foot end a little higher might
                fix it, and make the hammock a little longer.

                Ralph