Re: [Hammock Camping] Risk's Test Hammock

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4 10:17 PM
      On 2/4/07, tory1942 <tory1942@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone actually used the Test Hammock in an overnight camp? Or
      > swung it in their yards? Just curious.

      YES!! LOTS!!

      It is a quick, easy, cheap way for me to introduce my scouts to hammocks.

      At someones suggestion I modifiey the classic RISK test hammock design by
      using a double sheet bend on each end. They work very nicely.

      Ralph Oborn

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5 5:03 AM
        > using a double sheet bend on each end. They work very nicely.
        >
        > Ralph Oborn

        Ralph,

        At your urging via your repeated comments, I finally got around to
        trying out a slippery double sheet bend on a hammock I had
        decommissioned because of worries about fabric failure by untying the
        overhand knots and using the slippery double sheet bend in its place.
        It looks nice, works very well and uses about 9 inches less fabric on
        my 60 inch wide 1.9 oz rip stop nylon hammock. Those are the knots
        that I have used on the one hammock I have made since then and will be
        my hammock knot of choice in the future. Thanks for the info.

        Dave
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5 7:04 AM
          Ralph,

          At your urging via your repeated comments, I finally got around to
          trying out a slippery double sheet bend on a hammock I had
          decommissioned because of worries about fabric failure by untying the
          overhand knots and using the slippery double sheet bend in its place.
          It looks nice, works very well and uses about 9 inches less fabric on
          my 60 inch wide 1.9 oz rip stop nylon hammock. Those are the knots
          that I have used on the one hammock I have made since then and will be
          my hammock knot of choice in the future. Thanks for the info.

          Dave

          I am honored that the master innovator would consider my humble suggestion.

          Whipping, knotting the fabric, sewing loops in the strap etc. just all
          looked like a lotta work.
          And I'm just to lazy for that.

          Ralph

        • beentomadrid
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5 7:42 AM
            Like Ralph I use the double sheet bend, but I have made lots of fully
            functional hammocks with no sewing at all. What I like about them is I
            can be on my way to do some car camping, swing by a walmart or
            whatever, grab 3 or 4 yards of cloth, a bag of 3/8 yellow hollow braid
            rope (and a some webbing if they have some) and have a perfectly
            comfortable hammock for the weekend for less than $10! I just make it
            in camp (picnic tables at campgrounds are great for folding them up).

            ~Doug Campbell

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone actually used the Test Hammock in an overnight camp? Or
            > swung it in their yards? Just curious.

          • Bill III
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5 4:53 PM
              Hi All, I've made three hammocks. All with no sewing/hemming and just rope.
              I've bounced around and have my 6'4" 210 lbs test them as well. I have yet to have a failure. I have some pics on here of my back yard setup. With a home made cat tart.