rope

  • straightwire2004
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
      Anyone have a source for the spectrum rope used in a Hennessy hammock?
      What size and strength?
    • Bill Thomas
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        Try Backpackinglight.com -- Spectra Aircore Plus listed in their
        shelter section. Specs: AirCore Plus- weight oz/ft 0.0360, diameter
        0.1250, breaking strength - 1109#. Currentyl Backpackinglight is not
        showing it available. I sent a query to them to see if they are
        planning to stock it in the future or other sources. REI has carried a
        Spectra "accessory" cord with a breaking strenth of 1500# that is a
        little heavier and stiffer than the Aircore Plus.

        Bill T.
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "straightwire2004"

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          <jfleming@...> wrote:

          > Anyone have a source for the spectrum rope used in a Hennessy hammock?
          > What size and strength?

          Hennessy uses several different rope types and strengths. When I look
          at his spec sheet http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm
          the only spectra core I see is for 1450 lb test. The West Marine store
          near me use to carry spools of Yale Pulse Line that had a spectra core
          but looking at their web site I don't see but a couple of the diameters
          listed. This other web site still has it and it is listed as 1400 lb
          test for the 5/32 inch diameter and 1800 lb test for the 3/16 inch
          http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e867.asp . I don't know the
          particular rope that Hennessy uses but these should be close.
        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
            I am considering emailing HH to see if they would sell cord to me.

            I came into possession of a Lawson Hammock and I am feeling that
            replacing all the rope on it with the spectra cord will reduce weight,
            but plus allow me to attach some lines that I can use with tree
            huggers.

            TV
          • Carey Parks
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
              If you just need some to hang your hammock, try calling Tom Hennessy. I
              asked him a while ago if I could purchase some for a friend's hammock and he
              agreed. I never made the purchase however, since the friend solved the
              problem another way. IIRC, Tom's price was quite fair compared to the marine
              stores.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "straightwire2004"
                > <jfleming@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Anyone have a source for the spectrum rope used in a Hennessy
                hammock?

                > Hennessy usWhat size and strength?es several different rope types
                and strengths. When I look
                > at his spec sheet
                http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm
                > the only spectra core I see is for 1450 lb test. The West Marine
                store
                > near me use to carry spools of Yale Pulse Line that had a spectra
                core
                > but looking at their web site I don't see but a couple of the
                diameters
                > listed. This other web site still has it and it is listed as 1400
                lb
                > test for the 5/32 inch diameter and 1800 lb test for the 3/16 inch
                > http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e867.asp . I don't know the
                > particular rope that Hennessy uses but these should be close.

                thanks Dave, I HAVE UL A SIM.I GOT A LAGER THAN NEEDED ROPE BEFOR.
              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                  Call them. The phone number is on their web site. That worked best for me.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                    For those of you who can wait until May, you might consider ordering ropes from Tom Hennessy or web strapping, etc., from Ed Speer with a request to pick up these items at Trail Days. Let them know ahead of time so that they have enough extra stock on hand...

                    Rosaleen

                    Re: rope
                    Posted by: "Carey Parks" cjp129@...<mailto:cjp129@...> parkscarey