Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:parachute fabric

  • Randal Swink
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
      So, it is Nylon Ripstop not silk?

      On 2/4/07, mrbyer <mrbyer@...> wrote:

      > It appears they still sell fabric too:
      > http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Some of you have been talking about silk from
      > > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute fabric.
      > > I think they are now being made from a special strength
      > > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my computer
      > so may
      > > not still be in businnes but you can try.
      > >

      > > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
      > >

      > > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
      > > Phone:847-679-5905

    • quiltpatti
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
        So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
        enough for use as a hammock?
        Patti

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
          you would be pushing it pretty hard if you used a single layer. but it should work fine if you made a two layer hammock. ..tim

          quiltpatti <quiltbinder@...> wrote: So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
          enough for use as a hammock?
          Patti

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" wrote:

          > It appears they still sell fabric too:
          > http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah"
          wrote:

          > > Some of you have been talking about silk from
          > > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute
          fabric.
          > > I think they are now being made from a special strength
          > > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my
          computer
          > so may
          > > not still be in businnes but you can try.
          > >

          > > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
          > >

          > > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
          > > Phone:847-679-5905

        • gregg
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
            Posted by: "quiltpatti" quiltbinder@...
            <mailto:quiltbinder@...?Subject=%20Re%3Aparachute%20fabric>
            quiltpatti <http://profiles.yahoo.com/quiltpatti>

            Sun Feb 4, 2007 9:25 pm (PST)

            So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
            enough for use as a hammock?
            Patti

            I have a Speer type single layer silnylon (1.3oz coated) that I have
            made and have been using for some time now with no sign of failure. I
            weigh 195, 6'-3" . I did the hammock experimentally with Hennessy type
            ends so I could use thin, high strength marine lines and homemade tree
            huggers to cut weight. Hammock and lines without tarp weigh 9 oz. I
            don't jump into it, but I don't really baby it either. The long edges
            are hemmed.
            YMMV
            Gregg

          • quiltpatti
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
              Thanks for the info Gregg,

              I was just wondering if that parachute fabric at 1.1 oz was somehow
              special and stronger than 1.1oz ripstop. I don't think I want to try
              a silnylon hammock. I'm afraid it would not be breathable enough
              esp. in warm weather. I was just wondering if anyone had any
              scientific or engieering data on the stength of different fabrics,
              including also the silk habotai that others have used. My current
              single layer hammock of 1.9 oz DWR ripstop weighs 9.2 oz including
              the ropes. A double hammock of lighter material would be no
              improvement in wgt. 8mm silk should weigh about 1.03 oz/sq yd and
              10mm 1.28 oz. With the recent post(#16843) of the silk hammock
              failing, I'm hesitant to be the next silk hammock tester by trial
              and error:(.

              Patti