Re:parachute fabric

  • mrbyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
      It appears they still sell fabric too:
      http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

      > Some of you have been talking about silk from
      > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute fabric.
      > I think they are now being made from a special strength
      > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my computer
      so may
      > not still be in businnes but you can try.
      >

      > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
      >

      > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
      > Phone:847-679-5905

    • Randal Swink
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
        So, it is Nylon Ripstop not silk?

        On 2/4/07, mrbyer <mrbyer@...> wrote:

        > It appears they still sell fabric too:
        > http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Some of you have been talking about silk from
        > > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute fabric.
        > > I think they are now being made from a special strength
        > > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my computer
        > so may
        > > not still be in businnes but you can try.
        > >

        > > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
        > >

        > > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
        > > Phone:847-679-5905

      • quiltpatti
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
          So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
          enough for use as a hammock?
          Patti

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
            you would be pushing it pretty hard if you used a single layer. but it should work fine if you made a two layer hammock. ..tim

            quiltpatti <quiltbinder@...> wrote: So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
            enough for use as a hammock?
            Patti

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" wrote:

            > It appears they still sell fabric too:
            > http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah"
            wrote:

            > > Some of you have been talking about silk from
            > > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute
            fabric.
            > > I think they are now being made from a special strength
            > > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my
            computer
            > so may
            > > not still be in businnes but you can try.
            > >

            > > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
            > >

            > > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
            > > Phone:847-679-5905

          • gregg
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
              Posted by: "quiltpatti" quiltbinder@...
              <mailto:quiltbinder@...?Subject=%20Re%3Aparachute%20fabric>
              quiltpatti <http://profiles.yahoo.com/quiltpatti>

              Sun Feb 4, 2007 9:25 pm (PST)

              So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
              enough for use as a hammock?
              Patti

              I have a Speer type single layer silnylon (1.3oz coated) that I have
              made and have been using for some time now with no sign of failure. I
              weigh 195, 6'-3" . I did the hammock experimentally with Hennessy type
              ends so I could use thin, high strength marine lines and homemade tree
              huggers to cut weight. Hammock and lines without tarp weigh 9 oz. I
              don't jump into it, but I don't really baby it either. The long edges
              are hemmed.
              YMMV
              Gregg

            • quiltpatti
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                Thanks for the info Gregg,

                I was just wondering if that parachute fabric at 1.1 oz was somehow
                special and stronger than 1.1oz ripstop. I don't think I want to try
                a silnylon hammock. I'm afraid it would not be breathable enough
                esp. in warm weather. I was just wondering if anyone had any
                scientific or engieering data on the stength of different fabrics,
                including also the silk habotai that others have used. My current
                single layer hammock of 1.9 oz DWR ripstop weighs 9.2 oz including
                the ropes. A double hammock of lighter material would be no
                improvement in wgt. 8mm silk should weigh about 1.03 oz/sq yd and
                10mm 1.28 oz. With the recent post(#16843) of the silk hammock
                failing, I'm hesitant to be the next silk hammock tester by trial
                and error:(.

                Patti