Re:parachute fabric

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
      Some of you have been talking about silk from
      parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute fabric.
      I think they are now being made from a special strength
      nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my computer so may
      not still be in businnes but you can try.

      for anyone interested in parachute fabric.

      Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
      Phone:847-679-5905
    • mrbyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
        It appears they still sell fabric too:
        http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

        > Some of you have been talking about silk from
        > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute fabric.
        > I think they are now being made from a special strength
        > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my computer
        so may
        > not still be in businnes but you can try.
        >

        > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
        >

        > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
        > Phone:847-679-5905

      • Randal Swink
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
          So, it is Nylon Ripstop not silk?

          On 2/4/07, mrbyer <mrbyer@...> wrote:

          > It appears they still sell fabric too:
          > http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Some of you have been talking about silk from
          > > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute fabric.
          > > I think they are now being made from a special strength
          > > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my computer
          > so may
          > > not still be in businnes but you can try.
          > >

          > > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
          > >

          > > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
          > > Phone:847-679-5905

        • quiltpatti
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
            So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
            enough for use as a hammock?
            Patti

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
              you would be pushing it pretty hard if you used a single layer. but it should work fine if you made a two layer hammock. ..tim

              quiltpatti <quiltbinder@...> wrote: So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
              enough for use as a hammock?
              Patti

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" wrote:

              > It appears they still sell fabric too:
              > http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=193&level=1
              >

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah"
              wrote:

              > > Some of you have been talking about silk from
              > > parachutes for you hammocks.. Here's a resurce for parachute
              fabric.
              > > I think they are now being made from a special strength
              > > nylon. This is an old resource from 2005 I pulled from my
              computer
              > so may
              > > not still be in businnes but you can try.
              > >

              > > for anyone interested in parachute fabric.
              > >

              > > Para-Gear Equipment Co, Chicago
              > > Phone:847-679-5905

            • gregg
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                Posted by: "quiltpatti" quiltbinder@...
                <mailto:quiltbinder@...?Subject=%20Re%3Aparachute%20fabric>
                quiltpatti <http://profiles.yahoo.com/quiltpatti>

                Sun Feb 4, 2007 9:25 pm (PST)

                So does anyone know if the 1.1 oz per yard fabric will be strong
                enough for use as a hammock?
                Patti

                I have a Speer type single layer silnylon (1.3oz coated) that I have
                made and have been using for some time now with no sign of failure. I
                weigh 195, 6'-3" . I did the hammock experimentally with Hennessy type
                ends so I could use thin, high strength marine lines and homemade tree
                huggers to cut weight. Hammock and lines without tarp weigh 9 oz. I
                don't jump into it, but I don't really baby it either. The long edges
                are hemmed.
                YMMV
                Gregg

              • quiltpatti
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Thanks for the info Gregg,

                  I was just wondering if that parachute fabric at 1.1 oz was somehow
                  special and stronger than 1.1oz ripstop. I don't think I want to try
                  a silnylon hammock. I'm afraid it would not be breathable enough
                  esp. in warm weather. I was just wondering if anyone had any
                  scientific or engieering data on the stength of different fabrics,
                  including also the silk habotai that others have used. My current
                  single layer hammock of 1.9 oz DWR ripstop weighs 9.2 oz including
                  the ropes. A double hammock of lighter material would be no
                  improvement in wgt. 8mm silk should weigh about 1.03 oz/sq yd and
                  10mm 1.28 oz. With the recent post(#16843) of the silk hammock
                  failing, I'm hesitant to be the next silk hammock tester by trial
                  and error:(.

                  Patti