Re: very light weight material

  • quiltpatti
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
      Hi Rick,

      I have made 3 quilts form Thru-Hiker kits.

      The lightest, and one I use the most, has 6 ounces of 800+ down, and
      keeps me warm in just light long johns, down to lower 50's and into
      mid to low 40's wearing extra clothes (and with a fleece
      blanket/poncho). This is with a warmer (9 oz fill) underquilt.

      The finished quilt is a tall trapezoid, measuring 46" at the head
      end, 36" at the foot end and 66" in length. The dimensions it
      started as were 50", 40", 70". I'm about 5'6" and it would be more
      comfortable if it were about 6" longer. An elastic draw cord at top
      and bottom, snugs it around my shoulders and closes the bottom for a
      foot box along with 18" of non-snag Velcro on the bottom edges. When
      it's too warm for the quilt, I stuff the top of it into the footbox,
      and have a luxurious down pillow.

      It uses the 0.8 oz nylon that is no longer available and weighs 12.7
      oz. now, but I think it's lost half an ounce or more. Seems like it
      weighed 13 oz new. I use it a lot. Without making it any smaller, I
      can think of a few ways to make it differently that might save
      another ounce or so.

      If there's a lighter breathable downproof fabric, than the
      Momentum90 that AYCE sells, then he probably knows about it and
      would carry it, unless there are availability or quality issues.
      Still it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

      And, if you do find that magic half ounce, strong, breathable,
      downproof fabric, order a bolt of it for me, too, please :-).

      Patti