Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back

  • michael thomas
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
      my hammock is from a military parachute. silk .(..which has to withstand an
      unimaginable shock on opening )...my suggestion to you is to find a source
      of silk ....obtain a sample and put it to the test..since most matterials
      get stronger when you double them ..my friends hammock is made from the same
      matterial as mine ..it is a single layer and holds my nearly 200 pounds with
      no problem..so a double MAY hold 400 equally as well.. plus the longer
      you make a hammock the larger the area for the load to spread over..the weak
      link comes at the tie points... good luck and safe journeys

      >From: "Randal Swink" <rswink@...>
      >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
      >Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:54:11 -0600
      >
      >OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
      >pounds and 6 ft 2 inches
      >
      >On 2/1/07, michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > i beleve the silk is breathable..at least my exp with it has led me to
      > > that
      > > conclusion...silk is amazingly strong..i am 5'10 190lb and it shows no
      > > signs of strains with holding me...i choose the double layer to use a
      >pad
      > > on
      > > cold nights and because i feared it would not support me with out the
      > > added
      > > layer...since then i have seen single layer hammocks that do the job
      >just
      > > as
      > > well..if i were to start anew i think i could be very happy with a
      >single
      > > layer... i have silk long underwear..they breath and keep dampness away
      > > from
      > > the skin ..i thnik the hammock does the same thing....here in the deep
      > > south
      > > in the hot months we have temps around 100 plus 80-90% humidity..the
      > > nights
      > > often dont drop below 80 or upper 70's ..laying in my hammock i will
      > > begin
      > > to feel cool on the back withn a half hour of getting in..but i dont
      >sweat
      > > from contact with the matterial..if anything i feel cooler..
      > > the problem comes when the temps are much lower like in the dead of
      > > winter..where temps can drop to 20's or 30's at night( all at high
      > > humity)then i put my layer of tryvek in between the layers..the
      >diffrence
      > > is
      > > instant for me..i have put a space blanket on the bottom under the tyvek
      > > and
      > > this has added even more to my comfort.
      > > my hammock was constructed from surplus military silk used to make
      > > parachutes..hope this helps you...good luck and good journeys
      > >

      > > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
      > > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      > > >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
      > > >Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:05:57 -0000
      > > >
      > > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
      > > >wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
      > > >breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
      > > >Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
      > > >myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
      > > >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
      > > >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
      > > >Susan

      > > >i deem it
      > > >wrap cut to
      > > >this over a

> [...]

      Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping