Re: dry and warm under the back

  • newshutz
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
      Hi,

      My solution involves a bit of work.

      I make my own packs. The "pad" I put inside my double layer hammock is
      a pack designed to unfold. The walls of the pack have closed cell foam
      sandwiched between ripstop nylon (the inner layer is breathable). This
      pack requires a pack cover, which I use as a gear hammock. Unfolded it
      looks something like this:

      _________
      | | |______
      | |
      | ______|
      |_______|_|

      wide part is 32 inches wide (40 long), and the narrow is 14 inches.
      Over all length is 71 inches. It folds into a 14"x9"x31" box, held
      together with hook and loop and some webbing. It weighs about a pound,
      which is not bad for pack and pad together.

      I am working on an improved version, which I intend to post, when I
      have the bugs worked out.

      --Newz

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
      > side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
      > use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
      > my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
      > and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
      > totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
      > followed protocol !

    • newshutz
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
        I made a two layer hammock out of 6mm Habotai from Thai silk, and the
        fabric showed signs of strain after one use (6 ft and 220 lbs), so you
        would need heavier silk than that.

        --Newz

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...> wrote:

        > OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
        > pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

      • michael thomas
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
          my hammock is from a military parachute. silk .(..which has to withstand an
          unimaginable shock on opening )...my suggestion to you is to find a source
          of silk ....obtain a sample and put it to the test..since most matterials
          get stronger when you double them ..my friends hammock is made from the same
          matterial as mine ..it is a single layer and holds my nearly 200 pounds with
          no problem..so a double MAY hold 400 equally as well.. plus the longer
          you make a hammock the larger the area for the load to spread over..the weak
          link comes at the tie points... good luck and safe journeys

> [...]
          > > that
          > > conclusion...silk is amazingly strong..i am 5'10 190lb and it shows no
          > > signs of strains with holding me...i choose the double layer to use a
          >pad
          > > on
          > > cold nights and because i feared it would not support me with out the
          > > added
          > > layer...since then i have seen single layer hammocks that do the job
          >just
          > > as
          > > well..if i were to start anew i think i could be very happy with a
          >single
          > > layer... i have silk long underwear..they breath and keep dampness away
          > > from
          > > the skin ..i thnik the hammock does the same thing....here in the deep
          > > south
          > > in the hot months we have temps around 100 plus 80-90% humidity..the
          > > nights
          > > often dont drop below 80 or upper 70's ..laying in my hammock i will
          > > begin
          > > to feel cool on the back withn a half hour of getting in..but i dont
          >sweat
          > > from contact with the matterial..if anything i feel cooler..
          > > the problem comes when the temps are much lower like in the dead of
          > > winter..where temps can drop to 20's or 30's at night( all at high
          > > humity)then i put my layer of tryvek in between the layers..the
          >diffrence
          > > is
          > > instant for me..i have put a space blanket on the bottom under the tyvek
          > > and
          > > this has added even more to my comfort.
          > > my hammock was constructed from surplus military silk used to make
          > > parachutes..hope this helps you...good luck and good journeys
          > >

          > > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
          > > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          > > >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
          > > >Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:05:57 -0000
          > > >
          > > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
          > > >wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
          > > >breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
          > > >Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
          > > >myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
          > > >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
          > > >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
          > > >Susan

          > > >i deem it
          > > >wrap cut to
          > > >this over a

          > > >with a
          > > >condensation on
          > > >out
          > > >also
          > > >have not

          > > >Live
          > > >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
          > > >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

          > > FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with

          Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping