Re: very light weight material

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      Bill in Tx was doing some work with Cuban? fabric at one time. I
      believe it is lighter than 1.1 oz. Last I remember he could get it
      from the manufacture but it was a lengthy/complicated process. I
      forget his website addy now so don't know if he has updated anything
      lately.

      Coy Boy

      > I am thinking of building a very very light quilt for the late
      spring
      > and summer. My idea would be a quilt with a foot pocket, down
      filled
      > (6-8 oz) and made of something down proof and lighter than 1.1 oz
      nylon.

      > Any suggestions on the material I should consider? Points for
      being
      > lighter than nylon and also packs compactly.
      >
      > --
      > Walk Well!
      >
      > Rick (Risk)
      >
      > *********************************
      > http://www.imrisk.com
      > author of
      > A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      > www.wayahpress.com
      > *********************************

    • quiltpatti
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
        Hi Rick,

        I have made 3 quilts form Thru-Hiker kits.

        The lightest, and one I use the most, has 6 ounces of 800+ down, and
        keeps me warm in just light long johns, down to lower 50's and into
        mid to low 40's wearing extra clothes (and with a fleece
        blanket/poncho). This is with a warmer (9 oz fill) underquilt.

        The finished quilt is a tall trapezoid, measuring 46" at the head
        end, 36" at the foot end and 66" in length. The dimensions it
        started as were 50", 40", 70". I'm about 5'6" and it would be more
        comfortable if it were about 6" longer. An elastic draw cord at top
        and bottom, snugs it around my shoulders and closes the bottom for a
        foot box along with 18" of non-snag Velcro on the bottom edges. When
        it's too warm for the quilt, I stuff the top of it into the footbox,
        and have a luxurious down pillow.

        It uses the 0.8 oz nylon that is no longer available and weighs 12.7
        oz. now, but I think it's lost half an ounce or more. Seems like it
        weighed 13 oz new. I use it a lot. Without making it any smaller, I
        can think of a few ways to make it differently that might save
        another ounce or so.

        If there's a lighter breathable downproof fabric, than the
        Momentum90 that AYCE sells, then he probably knows about it and
        would carry it, unless there are availability or quality issues.
        Still it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

        And, if you do find that magic half ounce, strong, breathable,
        downproof fabric, order a bolt of it for me, too, please :-).

        Patti