Re: [Hammock Camping] very light weight material

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      Rick,
      I made a summer quilt a coupla years ago with 0.8oz downproof baffelled
      with down. I can't remember how much down but 8-10oz sounds about right b/c
      I made it rather large. I believe it's somewhere in the neighborhood of
      52X80" It it still in great shape with proper care.
      Anyway, I believe it weighs 15oz. and is perfect for 1/2 the year here in
      texas.
      I bought the 0.8 from Ayce but it looks like he doesn't have it anymore.
      It's a bit pricey but it looks like he now has this:
      http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG117&subcat=Ripstop

      Scott

      On 2/2/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

      > I am thinking of building a very very light quilt for the late spring
      > and summer. My idea would be a quilt with a foot pocket, down filled
      > (6-8 oz) and made of something down proof and lighter than 1.1 oz nylon.
      >
      > Any suggestions on the material I should consider? Points for being
      > lighter than nylon and also packs compactly.
      >
      > --
      > Walk Well!
      >
      > Rick (Risk)

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
        Bill in Tx was doing some work with Cuban? fabric at one time. I
        believe it is lighter than 1.1 oz. Last I remember he could get it
        from the manufacture but it was a lengthy/complicated process. I
        forget his website addy now so don't know if he has updated anything
        lately.

        Coy Boy

        > I am thinking of building a very very light quilt for the late
        spring
        > and summer. My idea would be a quilt with a foot pocket, down
        filled
        > (6-8 oz) and made of something down proof and lighter than 1.1 oz
        nylon.

        > Any suggestions on the material I should consider? Points for
        being
        > lighter than nylon and also packs compactly.
        >
        > --
        > Walk Well!
        >
        > Rick (Risk)
        >
        > *********************************
        > http://www.imrisk.com
        > author of
        > A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        > www.wayahpress.com
        > *********************************

      • quiltpatti
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
          Hi Rick,

          I have made 3 quilts form Thru-Hiker kits.

          The lightest, and one I use the most, has 6 ounces of 800+ down, and
          keeps me warm in just light long johns, down to lower 50's and into
          mid to low 40's wearing extra clothes (and with a fleece
          blanket/poncho). This is with a warmer (9 oz fill) underquilt.

          The finished quilt is a tall trapezoid, measuring 46" at the head
          end, 36" at the foot end and 66" in length. The dimensions it
          started as were 50", 40", 70". I'm about 5'6" and it would be more
          comfortable if it were about 6" longer. An elastic draw cord at top
          and bottom, snugs it around my shoulders and closes the bottom for a
          foot box along with 18" of non-snag Velcro on the bottom edges. When
          it's too warm for the quilt, I stuff the top of it into the footbox,
          and have a luxurious down pillow.

          It uses the 0.8 oz nylon that is no longer available and weighs 12.7
          oz. now, but I think it's lost half an ounce or more. Seems like it
          weighed 13 oz new. I use it a lot. Without making it any smaller, I
          can think of a few ways to make it differently that might save
          another ounce or so.

          If there's a lighter breathable downproof fabric, than the
          Momentum90 that AYCE sells, then he probably knows about it and
          would carry it, unless there are availability or quality issues.
          Still it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

          And, if you do find that magic half ounce, strong, breathable,
          downproof fabric, order a bolt of it for me, too, please :-).

          Patti