Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back

  • woody woodrich
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
      But it's easier to scrounge it at home construction site dumpsters, or offer to buy it when it's being applied -- it's easy to spot, its usually white, sometimes pink. Woodrich in Washington

      michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote: sorry i wasnt aware you didnt know...the matterial is used in several
      products,...like mailing envelopes..yo uknow the ones that feel thin and
      flimsy till you try to rip them open..but in large sizes it is used as a
      moisture barrier in house construction..if yo udo a search for tryvek on
      e-bay you will find people who will cut it to length for you..at a very
      resonable cost..it can be sewn together to make bigger tarps( which is what
      i have done)..good luck and i hope this helps...good journeys

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
        OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
        pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

        On 2/1/07, michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >i deem it
        > > > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house
        > >wrap cut to
        > > > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using
        > >this over a
        > > > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck

        > >with a
        > >condensation on
        > >out
        > >also
        > >have not

        > > > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows
        > >Live
        > > > Spaces
        > > > http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?
        > >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
        > >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

        > FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with people

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
          Washing may affect water permeability (i.e. increase it), but it remains
          low-linting, puncture resistent, and smooth. I've noticed a slight
          fraying of the fibers, but they don't pill off the 'fabric.'

          What washing does do is greatly improve packability (as it squashes down
          really compact really easily) and greatly reduces noise (now about the
          same as nylon and silnylon). I put it in a top-loading washing machine
          with central agitator and followed the Tyvek washing directions at
          TarpTent.com: cold water, no soap. I let it go through a full wash:
          wash and spin and rinse and spin.

          I used the Tyvek to make a hammock under cover. I folded the ends over
          2-3 cm and used a heavy needle to punch holes through these two layers
          (that was work) to thread nylon string through to cinch the ends and to
          hang it under my hammock. I made sure the holes were 2-3 cm apart.

          My husband is using Tyvek as a ground cloth. One of these days we'll
          report on it's efficacy as protection against bamboo.

          CL

          Rick wrote:
          > BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
          > hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
          > maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
          > holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
          > a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)
          >
          > For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
          > packs very badly.
          >
          > I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
          > was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
          > was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.
          >
          > Risk

        • newshutz
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
            Hi,

            My solution involves a bit of work.

            I make my own packs. The "pad" I put inside my double layer hammock is
            a pack designed to unfold. The walls of the pack have closed cell foam
            sandwiched between ripstop nylon (the inner layer is breathable). This
            pack requires a pack cover, which I use as a gear hammock. Unfolded it
            looks something like this:

            _________
            | | |______
            | |
            | ______|
            |_______|_|

            wide part is 32 inches wide (40 long), and the narrow is 14 inches.
            Over all length is 71 inches. It folds into a 14"x9"x31" box, held
            together with hook and loop and some webbing. It weighs about a pound,
            which is not bad for pack and pad together.

            I am working on an improved version, which I intend to post, when I
            have the bugs worked out.

            --Newz

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
            wrote:

            > I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
            > side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
            > use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
            > my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
            > and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
            > totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
            > followed protocol !

          • newshutz
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
              I made a two layer hammock out of 6mm Habotai from Thai silk, and the
              fabric showed signs of strain after one use (6 ft and 220 lbs), so you
              would need heavier silk than that.

              --Newz

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...> wrote:

              > OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
              > pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

            • michael thomas
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                my hammock is from a military parachute. silk .(..which has to withstand an
                unimaginable shock on opening )...my suggestion to you is to find a source
                of silk ....obtain a sample and put it to the test..since most matterials
                get stronger when you double them ..my friends hammock is made from the same
                matterial as mine ..it is a single layer and holds my nearly 200 pounds with
                no problem..so a double MAY hold 400 equally as well.. plus the longer
                you make a hammock the larger the area for the load to spread over..the weak
                link comes at the tie points... good luck and safe journeys

> [...]
                > > >breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
                > > >Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
                > > >myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
                > > >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
                > > >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
                > > >Susan

                > > >i deem it
                > > >wrap cut to
                > > >this over a

                > > >with a
                > > >condensation on
                > > >out
                > > >also
                > > >have not

                > > >Live
                > > >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
                > > >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

                > > FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with

                Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping