Improved 4 wrap knot

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2003
      Morning Gang!

      I have just written up a little page that kills several birds with a
      single stone:

      - pictures of the method I have begun using for the 4 wrap knot:
      advantages: works on smaller diameter trees, a little more secure,
      leaves the free end available as a drip loop.

      - picture of my most recent hammock, a 4 foot wide double bottom 1.1
      oz material with real noseeum. Total weight is 20 oz. I made bigger
      pockets on the bug net for waterbottle or shoes as others suggested.

      Link is a little long, so here it is tinyfied:

      http://tinyurl.com/dmuz

      F^2
    • Debra Weisenstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2003
        Here'a another knot variation which I've used on large-diameter
        trees, when there is only enough strap for 1-2 wraps. I tie off
        the webbing with a knot very similar to tying a man's tie. You
        go around both sides of the hammock line and through the back side
        of the loop (the 2 ends that go around the tree) repeatedly making
        a triangular-shaped knot. Tie it off by bringing the free end
        through the last triangular knot wrap. You have to tie this with
        some space between the webbing loops and the tree. Then it works
        light a slipknot and tightens when you load the hammock. Works
        best with only one loop because otherwise there will be slack in the
        outer wraps when it tightens up around the tree.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2003
          Message
          Thanks Rick for the pics of that knot you've been talking about.  It looks great.  I've often used the same idea when there is not enough strap to complete my 4 wrap knot.  On large diameter trees when the strap is way too short for the 4 wrap knot or even too short for your quick-release loop, I've actually put a 1/4-1/2" diameter stick into the knot before tightening it--that way, the stick can be easily wiggled out leaving just enough slack to undo the rest of the knot in the morning.  In the field, of course things are seldom ideal and thus 'necessity can be the mother of invention'   ....Ed