Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back

  • susanjevons
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 30, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
      <blackoracle69@...> wrote:
      >Hello Michael, and thankyou for the advice. I'm not a computer
      wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
      breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
      Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
      myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
      breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
      filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
      Susan

      > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
      > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights
      i deem it
      > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house
      wrap cut to
      > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using
      this over a
      > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
      >

      > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
      > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
      > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
      > >
      > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made)
      with a
      > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If
      > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause
      condensation on
      > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind
      out
      > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am
      also
      > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I
      have not
      > >followed protocol !

      > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows
      Live
      > Spaces
      > http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?
      href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
      wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

    • michael thomas
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007
        i beleve the silk is breathable..at least my exp with it has led me to that
        conclusion...silk is amazingly strong..i am 5'10 190lb and it shows no
        signs of strains with holding me...i choose the double layer to use a pad on
        cold nights and because i feared it would not support me with out the added
        layer...since then i have seen single layer hammocks that do the job just as
        well..if i were to start anew i think i could be very happy with a single
        layer... i have silk long underwear..they breath and keep dampness away from
        the skin ..i thnik the hammock does the same thing....here in the deep south
        in the hot months we have temps around 100 plus 80-90% humidity..the nights
        often dont drop below 80 or upper 70's ..laying in my hammock i will begin
        to feel cool on the back withn a half hour of getting in..but i dont sweat
        from contact with the matterial..if anything i feel cooler..
        the problem comes when the temps are much lower like in the dead of
        winter..where temps can drop to 20's or 30's at night( all at high
        humity)then i put my layer of tryvek in between the layers..the diffrence is
        instant for me..i have put a space blanket on the bottom under the tyvek and
        this has added even more to my comfort.
        my hammock was constructed from surplus military silk used to make
        parachutes..hope this helps you...good luck and good journeys

        >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
        >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
        >Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:05:57 -0000
        >
        >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
        ><blackoracle69@...> wrote:
        > >Hello Michael, and thankyou for the advice. I'm not a computer
        >wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
        >breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
        >Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
        >myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
        >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
        >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
        >Susan
        >

        > > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
        > > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights
        >i deem it
        > > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house
        >wrap cut to
        > > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using
        >this over a
        > > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
        > >

        > > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
        > > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        > > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
        > > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
        > > >
        > > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made)
        >with a
        > > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If
        > > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause
        >condensation on
        > > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind
        >out
        > > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am
        >also
        > > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I
        >have not
        > > >followed protocol !

        > > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows
        >Live
        > > Spaces
        > > http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?
        >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
        >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

        FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with people
        you know
        http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06
      • susanjevons
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
          Hello again. Thanks for the information on silk.Can you tell me - as
          I'm in the UK - what exactly is TRYVEK ? Thankyou.

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
            Here is more than you probably want to know:

            TYVEK®
            DuPont Tyvek® has introduced new dimensions of protection, security and
            safety in a wide variety of industries, including protective apparel,
            construction, envelopes, medical packaging and graphics.

            Made from very fine, high-density polyethylene fibers, Tyvek® brand
            protective material offers all the best characteristics of paper, film
            and fabric in one material. This unique balance of properties, which
            cannot be found in any other material, makes Tyvek® lightweight yet
            strong; vapor-permeable, yet water-, chemical-, puncture-, tear- and
            abrasion-resistant. Tyvek® is also low-linting, smooth and opaque.

            For even more details:

            http://www.tyvek.com/whatistyvek.htm

            BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
            hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
            maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
            holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
            a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)

            For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
            packs very badly.

            I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
            was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
            was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.

            Risk

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            *********************************
            http://www.imrisk.com
            author of
            A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
            www.wayahpress.com
            *********************************
          • michael thomas
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
              sorry i wasnt aware you didnt know...the matterial is used in several
              products,...like mailing envelopes..yo uknow the ones that feel thin and
              flimsy till you try to rip them open..but in large sizes it is used as a
              moisture barrier in house construction..if yo udo a search for tryvek on
              e-bay you will find people who will cut it to length for you..at a very
              resonable cost..it can be sewn together to make bigger tarps( which is what
              i have done)..good luck and i hope this helps...good journeys

> [...]
              > > >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
              > > >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
              > > >Susan

              >use
              >nights
              > > >i deem it
              > > >wrap cut to
              > > >this over a

              > > >with a
              >it. If
              > > >condensation on
              >wind
              > > >out
              >am
              > > >also
              > > >have not

              >Windows
              > > >Live
              > > >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
              > > >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

              > > FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with

              Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping
            • woody woodrich
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                But it's easier to scrounge it at home construction site dumpsters, or offer to buy it when it's being applied -- it's easy to spot, its usually white, sometimes pink. Woodrich in Washington

                michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote: sorry i wasnt aware you didnt know...the matterial is used in several

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                  OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
                  pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

                  On 2/1/07, michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > >i deem it
                  > > > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house
                  > >wrap cut to
                  > > > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using
                  > >this over a
                  > > > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck

                  > >with a
                  > >condensation on
                  > >out
                  > >also
                  > >have not

                  > > > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows
                  > >Live
                  > > > Spaces
                  > > > http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?
                  > >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
                  > >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

                  > FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with people

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                    Washing may affect water permeability (i.e. increase it), but it remains
                    low-linting, puncture resistent, and smooth. I've noticed a slight
                    fraying of the fibers, but they don't pill off the 'fabric.'

                    What washing does do is greatly improve packability (as it squashes down
                    really compact really easily) and greatly reduces noise (now about the
                    same as nylon and silnylon). I put it in a top-loading washing machine
                    with central agitator and followed the Tyvek washing directions at
                    TarpTent.com: cold water, no soap. I let it go through a full wash:
                    wash and spin and rinse and spin.

                    I used the Tyvek to make a hammock under cover. I folded the ends over
                    2-3 cm and used a heavy needle to punch holes through these two layers
                    (that was work) to thread nylon string through to cinch the ends and to
                    hang it under my hammock. I made sure the holes were 2-3 cm apart.

                    My husband is using Tyvek as a ground cloth. One of these days we'll
                    report on it's efficacy as protection against bamboo.

                    CL

                    Rick wrote:
                    > BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
                    > hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
                    > maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
                    > holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
                    > a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)
                    >
                    > For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
                    > packs very badly.
                    >
                    > I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
                    > was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
                    > was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.
                    >
                    > Risk

                  • newshutz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                      Hi,

                      My solution involves a bit of work.

                      I make my own packs. The "pad" I put inside my double layer hammock is
                      a pack designed to unfold. The walls of the pack have closed cell foam
                      sandwiched between ripstop nylon (the inner layer is breathable). This
                      pack requires a pack cover, which I use as a gear hammock. Unfolded it
                      looks something like this:

                      _________
                      | | |______
                      | |
                      | ______|
                      |_______|_|

                      wide part is 32 inches wide (40 long), and the narrow is 14 inches.
                      Over all length is 71 inches. It folds into a 14"x9"x31" box, held
                      together with hook and loop and some webbing. It weighs about a pound,
                      which is not bad for pack and pad together.

                      I am working on an improved version, which I intend to post, when I
                      have the bugs worked out.

                      --Newz

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
                      > side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
                      > use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
                      > my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
                      > and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
                      > totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
                      > followed protocol !

                    • newshutz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                        I made a two layer hammock out of 6mm Habotai from Thai silk, and the
                        fabric showed signs of strain after one use (6 ft and 220 lbs), so you
                        would need heavier silk than that.

                        --Newz

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...> wrote:

                        > OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
                        > pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

                      • michael thomas
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                          my hammock is from a military parachute. silk .(..which has to withstand an
                          unimaginable shock on opening )...my suggestion to you is to find a source
                          of silk ....obtain a sample and put it to the test..since most matterials
                          get stronger when you double them ..my friends hammock is made from the same
                          matterial as mine ..it is a single layer and holds my nearly 200 pounds with
                          no problem..so a double MAY hold 400 equally as well.. plus the longer
                          you make a hammock the larger the area for the load to spread over..the weak
                          link comes at the tie points... good luck and safe journeys