RE: [SPAM] Re: [Hammock Camping] "Wet ropes can make excellent conductors."]

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
      Michael, thanks, that's good information and it's the most thoughtful,
      reasonable discussion I've heard yet on the lightning issue. It certainly
      makes sense that all paths to ground are potentially active during a strike
      and any of them can kill anyone unfortunate enough to be in the way. While
      it's prudent to ensure we don't create lethal paths with improper gear;
      avoidance, even if it requires extreme action, is still the best policy.
      Thus it's 'Hammocker Be Ware'. Know the dangers, have a safety plan and
      follow it.

      This lightening discussion is very informative. Thanks to everyone who's
      posted. Let's hear more personal stories. What do you do when lightening
      approaches? ...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
        Michael,

        What is the time between the flash and bang that you recommend leaving
        the hammock?

        Dick Matthews
        -- If it weren't for STRESS I'd have no energy at all.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
          is that michael that i last saw on mt mitchel, nc last winter, along w/ ed? ...tim

          carterm@... wrote: .To each their own, but what I have come to believe is that I don't want to be hanging in my hammock when a storm hits. I get out of the hammock, and go down the mountainside as far as I can. I try to pick an area where any nearby trees are much shorter than the average height of trees in the area, and then squat down as low as possible, wrapping my arms around my knees to improve the odds that any current going through my body doesn't go through my chest. If I'm expecting a storm, I try to set my hammock up in as protected a location as possible, and when the storm wakes me up, I'm out of the hammock.

          My $0.02.

          Michael

          .