Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 28, 2007
      Throwing it in a washing machine, cold water, no soap, really cuts down
      on the noise. This was a TarpTent.com recommendation.

      I'm not sure how well it retains water resistance. I can see fuzz on
      mine.

      CL

      Ralph Oborn wrote:
      > On 1/26/07, ian toal <powersurj2002@...> wrote:
      >> Mr. Thomas,
      >> How well does the Tyvek house wrap work for moisture and is it rain
      >> proof/resistant as well? It sound like a great idea.
      >>
      >> Enjoy,
      >

      > There is tyvek and then there is tyvek.
      > Some of the house wrap tyvek has small holes in it to let the house
      > "breathe"
      >
      > All of it is noisy.
      >
      > Ralph Oborn

      Cara Lin Bridgman

      P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
      Longjing Sinjhuang
      Taichung 434
      Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
    • ian toal
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 29, 2007
        Thank you for the tip and responses. I'll have to give this a try during my next winter camping trip and see how well it works. I know I'll enjoy not getting dripped on at three in the morning.

        Enjoy,

        Ian

        Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote: Throwing it in a washing machine, cold water, no soap, really cuts down

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 29, 2007
          I'll give it a try and thank you for the advise, I appreciate it.

          Enjoy,

          Ian

          michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote: it does very well..but bear in mind i live in a semi tropical enviro..so
          sweat can be a problem..i tried a space blanket for a while but found i
          would sweat during the night and my butt would be damp to saoked by
          morning..but with the tryvek i dont seem to have this problem..i dont think
          the matteral breaths so to speak..but it seems to be more forgiving as to
          rain proof..i got mine from a local military base when they were redoing
          some buildings..it will bead water and withstand rain as well as sil nylon
          plus a hard driving rain wont mist you( thru the weave of the material)
          ...hope this help you like it can with nylon ...hope this helps you..good
          luck

          >From: ian toal <powersurj2002@...>
          >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
          >Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:07:42 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >Mr. Thomas,
          >How well does the Tyvek house wrap work for moisture and is it rain
          >proof/resistant as well? It sound like a great idea.
          >
          >Enjoy,
          >
          >Ian
          >
          >michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote:
          > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
          > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights i deem
          >it
          > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house wrap cut
          > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using this over
          > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
          >
          > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
          > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
          > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
          > >
          > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
          > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
          > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
          > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
          > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
          > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
          > >followed protocol !

          > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
          > Spaces
          >
          >http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline

        • susanjevons
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 30, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
            <blackoracle69@...> wrote:
            >Hello Michael, and thankyou for the advice. I'm not a computer
            wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
            breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
            Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
            myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
            breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
            filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
            Susan

            > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
            > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights
            i deem it
            > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house
            wrap cut to
            > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using
            this over a
            > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
            >

            > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
            > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
            > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
            > >
            > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made)
            with a
            > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If
            > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause
            condensation on
            > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind
            out
            > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am
            also
            > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I
            have not
            > >followed protocol !

            > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows
            Live
            > Spaces
            > http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?
            href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
            wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

          • michael thomas
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007
              i beleve the silk is breathable..at least my exp with it has led me to that
              conclusion...silk is amazingly strong..i am 5'10 190lb and it shows no
              signs of strains with holding me...i choose the double layer to use a pad on
              cold nights and because i feared it would not support me with out the added
              layer...since then i have seen single layer hammocks that do the job just as
              well..if i were to start anew i think i could be very happy with a single
              layer... i have silk long underwear..they breath and keep dampness away from
              the skin ..i thnik the hammock does the same thing....here in the deep south
              in the hot months we have temps around 100 plus 80-90% humidity..the nights
              often dont drop below 80 or upper 70's ..laying in my hammock i will begin
              to feel cool on the back withn a half hour of getting in..but i dont sweat
              from contact with the matterial..if anything i feel cooler..
              the problem comes when the temps are much lower like in the dead of
              winter..where temps can drop to 20's or 30's at night( all at high
              humity)then i put my layer of tryvek in between the layers..the diffrence is
              instant for me..i have put a space blanket on the bottom under the tyvek and
              this has added even more to my comfort.
              my hammock was constructed from surplus military silk used to make
              parachutes..hope this helps you...good luck and good journeys

              >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
              >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
              >Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:05:57 -0000
              >
              >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
              ><blackoracle69@...> wrote:
              > >Hello Michael, and thankyou for the advice. I'm not a computer
              >wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
              >breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
              >Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
              >myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
              >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
              >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
              >Susan
              >

              > > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
              > > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights
              >i deem it
              > > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house
              >wrap cut to
              > > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using
              >this over a
              > > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
              > >

              > > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
              > > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
              > > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
              > > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
              > > >
              > > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made)
              >with a
              > > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If
              > > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause
              >condensation on
              > > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind
              >out
              > > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am
              >also
              > > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I
              >have not
              > > >followed protocol !

              > > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows
              >Live
              > > Spaces
              > > http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?
              >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
              >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

              FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with people
              you know
              http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06
            • susanjevons
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                Hello again. Thanks for the information on silk.Can you tell me - as
                I'm in the UK - what exactly is TRYVEK ? Thankyou.

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Here is more than you probably want to know:

                  TYVEK®
                  DuPont Tyvek® has introduced new dimensions of protection, security and
                  safety in a wide variety of industries, including protective apparel,
                  construction, envelopes, medical packaging and graphics.

                  Made from very fine, high-density polyethylene fibers, Tyvek® brand
                  protective material offers all the best characteristics of paper, film
                  and fabric in one material. This unique balance of properties, which
                  cannot be found in any other material, makes Tyvek® lightweight yet
                  strong; vapor-permeable, yet water-, chemical-, puncture-, tear- and
                  abrasion-resistant. Tyvek® is also low-linting, smooth and opaque.

                  For even more details:

                  http://www.tyvek.com/whatistyvek.htm

                  BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
                  hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
                  maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
                  holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
                  a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)

                  For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
                  packs very badly.

                  I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
                  was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
                  was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.

                  Risk

                  Walk Well!

                  Rick (Risk)

                  *********************************
                  http://www.imrisk.com
                  author of
                  A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                  www.wayahpress.com
                  *********************************
                • michael thomas
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                    sorry i wasnt aware you didnt know...the matterial is used in several
                    products,...like mailing envelopes..yo uknow the ones that feel thin and
                    flimsy till you try to rip them open..but in large sizes it is used as a
                    moisture barrier in house construction..if yo udo a search for tryvek on
                    e-bay you will find people who will cut it to length for you..at a very
                    resonable cost..it can be sewn together to make bigger tarps( which is what
                    i have done)..good luck and i hope this helps...good journeys

> [...]
                    > > >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
                    > > >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
                    > > >Susan

                    >use
                    >nights
                    > > >i deem it
                    > > >wrap cut to
                    > > >this over a

                    > > >with a
                    >it. If
                    > > >condensation on
                    >wind
                    > > >out
                    >am
                    > > >also
                    > > >have not

                    >Windows
                    > > >Live
                    > > >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
                    > > >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

                    > > FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with

                    Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping
                  • woody woodrich
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                      But it's easier to scrounge it at home construction site dumpsters, or offer to buy it when it's being applied -- it's easy to spot, its usually white, sometimes pink. Woodrich in Washington

                      michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote: sorry i wasnt aware you didnt know...the matterial is used in several

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                        OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
                        pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                          Washing may affect water permeability (i.e. increase it), but it remains
                          low-linting, puncture resistent, and smooth. I've noticed a slight
                          fraying of the fibers, but they don't pill off the 'fabric.'

                          What washing does do is greatly improve packability (as it squashes down
                          really compact really easily) and greatly reduces noise (now about the
                          same as nylon and silnylon). I put it in a top-loading washing machine
                          with central agitator and followed the Tyvek washing directions at
                          TarpTent.com: cold water, no soap. I let it go through a full wash:
                          wash and spin and rinse and spin.

                          I used the Tyvek to make a hammock under cover. I folded the ends over
                          2-3 cm and used a heavy needle to punch holes through these two layers
                          (that was work) to thread nylon string through to cinch the ends and to
                          hang it under my hammock. I made sure the holes were 2-3 cm apart.

                          My husband is using Tyvek as a ground cloth. One of these days we'll
                          report on it's efficacy as protection against bamboo.

                          CL

                          Rick wrote:
                          > BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
                          > hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
                          > maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
                          > holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
                          > a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)
                          >
                          > For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
                          > packs very badly.
                          >
                          > I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
                          > was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
                          > was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.
                          >
                          > Risk

                        • newshutz
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                            Hi,

                            My solution involves a bit of work.

                            I make my own packs. The "pad" I put inside my double layer hammock is
                            a pack designed to unfold. The walls of the pack have closed cell foam
                            sandwiched between ripstop nylon (the inner layer is breathable). This
                            pack requires a pack cover, which I use as a gear hammock. Unfolded it
                            looks something like this:

                            _________
                            | | |______
                            | |
                            | ______|
                            |_______|_|

                            wide part is 32 inches wide (40 long), and the narrow is 14 inches.
                            Over all length is 71 inches. It folds into a 14"x9"x31" box, held
                            together with hook and loop and some webbing. It weighs about a pound,
                            which is not bad for pack and pad together.

                            I am working on an improved version, which I intend to post, when I
                            have the bugs worked out.

                            --Newz

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
                            > side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
                            > use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
                            > my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
                            > and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
                            > totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
                            > followed protocol !

                          • newshutz
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                              I made a two layer hammock out of 6mm Habotai from Thai silk, and the
                              fabric showed signs of strain after one use (6 ft and 220 lbs), so you
                              would need heavier silk than that.

                              --Newz

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...> wrote:

                              > OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
                              > pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

                            • michael thomas
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                                my hammock is from a military parachute. silk .(..which has to withstand an
                                unimaginable shock on opening )...my suggestion to you is to find a source
                                of silk ....obtain a sample and put it to the test..since most matterials
                                get stronger when you double them ..my friends hammock is made from the same
                                matterial as mine ..it is a single layer and holds my nearly 200 pounds with
                                no problem..so a double MAY hold 400 equally as well.. plus the longer
                                you make a hammock the larger the area for the load to spread over..the weak
                                link comes at the tie points... good luck and safe journeys