Re: Tarp rope

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"
      <schrochem@...> wrote:

      > For those of you that attache your tarp to the trees, what type of
      rope do
      > you use?
      > Do you use tree huggers? If not what knot is used?
      > One other thing is those self tensioning dohickies....do you use them?
      > Thanks
      > Scott

      Scott,

      I use a narrow diameter low stretch rope, typically 1/16" spectra pulse
      line or 1/8" polypropylene cord. I stay away from light weight nylon
      rope as it stretches too much for me. I use a section of doubled up
      1/8" shock cord in series with a short section of the guylines (
      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/view/1b7c?
      b=1&o=2 ) on the side pull outs but don't use anything on the
      ridgeline. I've found the ridgeline has too much tension for that to
      be practical on it and you don't want the tarp to have too much freedom
      of movement.

      I use either a slippery bowline or Ed's 4 wrap knot finished with a
      slippery double half hitch. The 4 wrap knot allows you to tie it off
      with as much tension as you desire.

      Dave
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2007
        I use tree huggers with a biner between huggers and hammock. Hammock is
        tied to biner with a butterfly knot and taunt-line hitch. I went to the
        biner because I quickly noticed abrasion on the tree huggers. In fact,
        that's one of the rules of rock climbing, not to have rope on rope or
        metal on metal. The fly can run off the biners, too--unless I need a
        low pitch.

        CL

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
          I use paracord, looped once directly around the trees. I tie off both ends with a tautline hitch to allow tensioning from either end.

          Bear