RE: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back

  • ian toal
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 26, 2007
      Mr. Thomas,
      How well does the Tyvek house wrap work for moisture and is it rain proof/resistant as well? It sound like a great idea.

      Enjoy,

      Ian

      michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote: i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use a
      homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights i deem it
      nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house wrap cut to
      fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using this over a
      space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck

      >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
      >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
      >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
      >
      >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
      >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
      >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
      >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
      >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
      >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
      >followed protocol !

      Spaces

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 28, 2007
        On 1/26/07, ian toal <powersurj2002@...> wrote:

        > Mr. Thomas,
        > How well does the Tyvek house wrap work for moisture and is it rain
        > proof/resistant as well? It sound like a great idea.
        >
        > Enjoy,

        There is tyvek and then there is tyvek.
        Some of the house wrap tyvek has small holes in it to let the house
        "breathe"

        All of it is noisy.

        Ralph Oborn

      • michael thomas
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 28, 2007
          it does very well..but bear in mind i live in a semi tropical enviro..so
          sweat can be a problem..i tried a space blanket for a while but found i
          would sweat during the night and my butt would be damp to saoked by
          morning..but with the tryvek i dont seem to have this problem..i dont think
          the matteral breaths so to speak..but it seems to be more forgiving as to
          rain proof..i got mine from a local military base when they were redoing
          some buildings..it will bead water and withstand rain as well as sil nylon
          plus a hard driving rain wont mist you( thru the weave of the material)
          ...hope this help you like it can with nylon ...hope this helps you..good
          luck

          >From: ian toal <powersurj2002@...>
          >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
          >Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:07:42 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >Mr. Thomas,
          >How well does the Tyvek house wrap work for moisture and is it rain
          >proof/resistant as well? It sound like a great idea.
          >
          >Enjoy,
          >
          >Ian
          >
          >michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote:
          > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
          > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights i deem
          >it
          > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house wrap cut
          > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using this over
          > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
          >
          > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
          > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
          > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
          > >
          > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
          > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
          > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
          > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
          > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
          > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
          > >followed protocol !

          > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
          > Spaces
          >
          >http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 28, 2007
            Throwing it in a washing machine, cold water, no soap, really cuts down
            on the noise. This was a TarpTent.com recommendation.

            I'm not sure how well it retains water resistance. I can see fuzz on
            mine.

            CL

            Ralph Oborn wrote:
            > On 1/26/07, ian toal <powersurj2002@...> wrote:
            >> Mr. Thomas,
            >> How well does the Tyvek house wrap work for moisture and is it rain
            >> proof/resistant as well? It sound like a great idea.
            >>
            >> Enjoy,
            >

            > There is tyvek and then there is tyvek.
            > Some of the house wrap tyvek has small holes in it to let the house
            > "breathe"
            >
            > All of it is noisy.
            >
            > Ralph Oborn

            Cara Lin Bridgman

            P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
            Longjing Sinjhuang
            Taichung 434
            Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
          • ian toal
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 29, 2007
              Thank you for the tip and responses. I'll have to give this a try during my next winter camping trip and see how well it works. I know I'll enjoy not getting dripped on at three in the morning.

              Enjoy,

              Ian

              Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote: Throwing it in a washing machine, cold water, no soap, really cuts down

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 29, 2007
                I'll give it a try and thank you for the advise, I appreciate it.

                Enjoy,

                Ian

                michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote: it does very well..but bear in mind i live in a semi tropical enviro..so
                sweat can be a problem..i tried a space blanket for a while but found i
                would sweat during the night and my butt would be damp to saoked by
                morning..but with the tryvek i dont seem to have this problem..i dont think
                the matteral breaths so to speak..but it seems to be more forgiving as to
                rain proof..i got mine from a local military base when they were redoing
                some buildings..it will bead water and withstand rain as well as sil nylon
                plus a hard driving rain wont mist you( thru the weave of the material)
                ...hope this help you like it can with nylon ...hope this helps you..good
                luck

                >From: ian toal <powersurj2002@...>
                >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: RE: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
                >Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:07:42 -0800 (PST)
                >
                >Mr. Thomas,
                >How well does the Tyvek house wrap work for moisture and is it rain
                >proof/resistant as well? It sound like a great idea.
                >
                >Enjoy,
                >
                >Ian
                >
                >michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote:
                > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
                > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights i deem
                >it
                > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house wrap cut
                > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using this over
                > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
                >
                > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
                > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
                > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
                > >
                > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
                > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
                > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
                > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
                > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
                > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
                > >followed protocol !

                > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
                > Spaces
                >
                >http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

                http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline

              • susanjevons
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 30, 2007
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
                  <blackoracle69@...> wrote:
                  >Hello Michael, and thankyou for the advice. I'm not a computer
                  wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
                  breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
                  Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
                  myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
                  breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
                  filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
                  Susan

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007
                    i beleve the silk is breathable..at least my exp with it has led me to that
                    conclusion...silk is amazingly strong..i am 5'10 190lb and it shows no
                    signs of strains with holding me...i choose the double layer to use a pad on
                    cold nights and because i feared it would not support me with out the added
                    layer...since then i have seen single layer hammocks that do the job just as
                    well..if i were to start anew i think i could be very happy with a single
                    layer... i have silk long underwear..they breath and keep dampness away from
                    the skin ..i thnik the hammock does the same thing....here in the deep south
                    in the hot months we have temps around 100 plus 80-90% humidity..the nights
                    often dont drop below 80 or upper 70's ..laying in my hammock i will begin
                    to feel cool on the back withn a half hour of getting in..but i dont sweat
                    from contact with the matterial..if anything i feel cooler..
                    the problem comes when the temps are much lower like in the dead of
                    winter..where temps can drop to 20's or 30's at night( all at high
                    humity)then i put my layer of tryvek in between the layers..the diffrence is
                    instant for me..i have put a space blanket on the bottom under the tyvek and
                    this has added even more to my comfort.
                    my hammock was constructed from surplus military silk used to make
                    parachutes..hope this helps you...good luck and good journeys

                    >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
                    >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
                    >Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:05:57 -0000
                    >
                    >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michael thomas"
                    ><blackoracle69@...> wrote:
                    > >Hello Michael, and thankyou for the advice. I'm not a computer
                    >wizzkid, so pardon for the delay. Can you tell me also - Is the silk
                    >breathable ? And I assume it is strong enough for the average adult ?
                    >Someone suggested I get a piece of thin felt, or else felted for
                    >myself a piece of thin woollen-woven fabric, it being then both
                    >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
                    >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
                    >Susan
                    >

                    > > i live in the deep south were humid is the name of the game. I use
                    > > homemade silk hammock with a double layer as well. On those nights
                    >i deem it
                    > > nessary to add a wind/warmth layer i use a sheet of tryek house
                    >wrap cut to
                    > > fit. I have found less problems with trapped moisture ect using
                    >this over a
                    > > space blanket or a simular product. hope this helps...good luck
                    > >

                    > > >From: "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
                    > > >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                    > > >Subject: [Hammock Camping] dry and warm under the back
                    > > >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:04:42 -0000
                    > > >
                    > > >I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made)
                    >with a
                    > > >side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If
                    > > >use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause
                    >condensation on
                    > > >my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind
                    >out
                    > > >and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am
                    >also
                    > > >totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I
                    >have not
                    > > >followed protocol !

                    > > Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows
                    >Live
                    > > Spaces
                    > > http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?
                    >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
                    >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

                    FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with people
                    you know
                    http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06
                  • susanjevons
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Hello again. Thanks for the information on silk.Can you tell me - as
                      I'm in the UK - what exactly is TRYVEK ? Thankyou.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Here is more than you probably want to know:

                        TYVEK®
                        DuPont Tyvek® has introduced new dimensions of protection, security and
                        safety in a wide variety of industries, including protective apparel,
                        construction, envelopes, medical packaging and graphics.

                        Made from very fine, high-density polyethylene fibers, Tyvek® brand
                        protective material offers all the best characteristics of paper, film
                        and fabric in one material. This unique balance of properties, which
                        cannot be found in any other material, makes Tyvek® lightweight yet
                        strong; vapor-permeable, yet water-, chemical-, puncture-, tear- and
                        abrasion-resistant. Tyvek® is also low-linting, smooth and opaque.

                        For even more details:

                        http://www.tyvek.com/whatistyvek.htm

                        BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
                        hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
                        maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
                        holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
                        a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)

                        For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
                        packs very badly.

                        I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
                        was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
                        was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.

                        Risk

                        Walk Well!

                        Rick (Risk)

                        *********************************
                        http://www.imrisk.com
                        author of
                        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                        www.wayahpress.com
                        *********************************
                      • michael thomas
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                          sorry i wasnt aware you didnt know...the matterial is used in several
                          products,...like mailing envelopes..yo uknow the ones that feel thin and
                          flimsy till you try to rip them open..but in large sizes it is used as a
                          moisture barrier in house construction..if yo udo a search for tryvek on
                          e-bay you will find people who will cut it to length for you..at a very
                          resonable cost..it can be sewn together to make bigger tarps( which is what
                          i have done)..good luck and i hope this helps...good journeys

> [...]
                          > > >breathable and more wind-resistant. Would this work as my "sandwich
                          > > >filler" do you think, or is that likely to get wet ? Many thanks.
                          > > >Susan

                          >use
                          >nights
                          > > >i deem it
                          > > >wrap cut to
                          > > >this over a

                          > > >with a
                          >it. If
                          > > >condensation on
                          >wind
                          > > >out
                          >am
                          > > >also
                          > > >have not

                          >Windows
                          > > >Live
                          > > >href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?
                          > > >wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

                          > > FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo � buy and sell with

                          Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping
                        • woody woodrich
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                            But it's easier to scrounge it at home construction site dumpsters, or offer to buy it when it's being applied -- it's easy to spot, its usually white, sometimes pink. Woodrich in Washington

                            michael thomas <blackoracle69@...> wrote: sorry i wasnt aware you didnt know...the matterial is used in several

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                              OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
                              pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                                Washing may affect water permeability (i.e. increase it), but it remains
                                low-linting, puncture resistent, and smooth. I've noticed a slight
                                fraying of the fibers, but they don't pill off the 'fabric.'

                                What washing does do is greatly improve packability (as it squashes down
                                really compact really easily) and greatly reduces noise (now about the
                                same as nylon and silnylon). I put it in a top-loading washing machine
                                with central agitator and followed the Tyvek washing directions at
                                TarpTent.com: cold water, no soap. I let it go through a full wash:
                                wash and spin and rinse and spin.

                                I used the Tyvek to make a hammock under cover. I folded the ends over
                                2-3 cm and used a heavy needle to punch holes through these two layers
                                (that was work) to thread nylon string through to cinch the ends and to
                                hang it under my hammock. I made sure the holes were 2-3 cm apart.

                                My husband is using Tyvek as a ground cloth. One of these days we'll
                                report on it's efficacy as protection against bamboo.

                                CL

                                Rick wrote:
                                > BTW, I personally have found that tyvec is a poor material for both
                                > hammocks and tarps. It is more like felt than anything else, except
                                > maybe chipboard. It is not a woven cloth. When sewn, the material has
                                > holes punched in it and this weakens the material much more than sewing
                                > a woven cloth. (Think perforations that allow ripping the material)
                                >
                                > For a tarp, it is noisy in the wind, it is heavier than silnylon, and it
                                > packs very badly.
                                >
                                > I played with tyvec for a while, and the best use I ever found for it
                                > was carrying a 12 x 16 inch piece to sit on to keep my bottom dry. That
                                > was before I discovered that my hat works very well for sitting on.
                                >
                                > Risk

                              • newshutz
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                                  Hi,

                                  My solution involves a bit of work.

                                  I make my own packs. The "pad" I put inside my double layer hammock is
                                  a pack designed to unfold. The walls of the pack have closed cell foam
                                  sandwiched between ripstop nylon (the inner layer is breathable). This
                                  pack requires a pack cover, which I use as a gear hammock. Unfolded it
                                  looks something like this:

                                  _________
                                  | | |______
                                  | |
                                  | ______|
                                  |_______|_|

                                  wide part is 32 inches wide (40 long), and the narrow is 14 inches.
                                  Over all length is 71 inches. It folds into a 14"x9"x31" box, held
                                  together with hook and loop and some webbing. It weighs about a pound,
                                  which is not bad for pack and pad together.

                                  I am working on an improved version, which I intend to post, when I
                                  have the bugs worked out.

                                  --Newz

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "susanjevons" <susanjevons@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I have a double thickness parachute nylon hammock ( home made) with a
                                  > side opening so I can sandwich some under-back insulaion in it. If I
                                  > use the aluminium emergency blanket woulnd't that cause condensation on
                                  > my back ? Anything else I can use instead, which would keep wind out
                                  > and warmth in ? I am new to hammocking anfd enjoying it, and I am also
                                  > totally new to this messageing-thing. Apologies therefore if I have not
                                  > followed protocol !

                                • newshutz
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                                    I made a two layer hammock out of 6mm Habotai from Thai silk, and the
                                    fabric showed signs of strain after one use (6 ft and 220 lbs), so you
                                    would need heavier silk than that.

                                    --Newz

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randal Swink" <rswink@...> wrote:

                                    > OK, so if it holds you up at 2 layers do you think it will hold up 300
                                    > pounds and 6 ft 2 inches

                                  • michael thomas
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 3, 2007
                                      my hammock is from a military parachute. silk .(..which has to withstand an
                                      unimaginable shock on opening )...my suggestion to you is to find a source
                                      of silk ....obtain a sample and put it to the test..since most matterials
                                      get stronger when you double them ..my friends hammock is made from the same
                                      matterial as mine ..it is a single layer and holds my nearly 200 pounds with
                                      no problem..so a double MAY hold 400 equally as well.. plus the longer
                                      you make a hammock the larger the area for the load to spread over..the weak
                                      link comes at the tie points... good luck and safe journeys