Re: I need help!!

  • Gregg Spoering
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 6 5:21 AM
      David,
      Sounds like you are reinventing a Garlington insulator, but I seem to
      remember that Flyfisher had some problems in windy conditions with the
      wind getting between the insulator and the hammock and taking the warmth
      away. Maybe a double bottom hammock made of uncoated 1.1 oz rs nylon
      would work for you. On cold, windy days you could slide a peice of
      plastic between the layers (or thin crafts foam) or a Target pad. You
      could bring a very thin, light peice of plastic (cheapo painter drops?)
      since any thickness plastic will stop wind. This way the plastic won't
      be blown open. Again, I think Flyfisher is experimenting with a Speer
      hammock of this type.
      Gregg

      Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:35:49 -0000
      From: "o123david" <o123david@...

      >The method I have tried is to suspend polyethylene (clear plastic)
      from duct tape that is exactly as long as the hammock and is
      suspended from both ends of the hammock. Since the hammock material
      is 5' wide the plastic goes down a little over 2 1/2' for most of the
      way and is shorter near the ends. In wind I expect the windward side
      to be blown against the hammock and the other side to be blown up
      into the air.
      I found that the plastic added a lot of warmth to the hammock.
      Unfortunately there continues to not be any wind whenever I go
      camping.
      The problem with this method is that it feels clamy inside. There
      isn't any condensation but it feels more moist than I would prefer.
      Maybe the moisture problem would be avoided if I used Tyvek instead
      of polyethylene and pulled the sides out so there could be movement
      of air inside the Tyvek and up along the sides of the hammock.

      It seems that the windblock made of Tyvek and pulled out at the sides
      would make the idea of wrapping the hammock in a sleeping bag more
      practical. In that case the windblock would have to be larger to
      permit air to move up along the sides of the sleepingbag.

      My original idea was to suspend the windblock directly from a diamond-
      shaped tarp. Places for the warm moist air to escape would be needed
      just below the tarp, probably similar to those in the Stephenson
      Warmlite tents. If somebody wants to make one I'd be interested in
      hearing how it works out. --David
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 23 9:52 AM
        Hi,

        If you go to WallyMart they have a set of replacement tubes & pouch
        for about $4. The pouch is a little leather oblong that has a hole
        in either end which the tubing is attached to using what looks like
        a larkshead knot.

        What I did was cut the leather so I could pull the tubing off. That
        leaves a tube with a loop in the end. If you're using a grommet or
        plastic ring like the Hennessey uses on the fly then you need to get
        the ring inside the tubing loop.

        The secret is that the tubing is simply a tube. On one end they poke
        a hole in one wall of the tube. Then they lay the pouch on the tube,
        reach through the hole, grab the end of the tube and pull it through
        the hole so it ends up turning inside itself.

        It's much less difficult to do than it is to picture from this
        description though. First you'll want to soap it up to make the
        rubber slippery. Then you can grab the loop with a pair of needle-
        nose pliers and pull it back out of itself. Then you can reverse the
        process by using the needle-nose pliers again to reach through the
        hole and grab the end to catch the ring or grommet. The first time
        you do it you'll puzzle over it. The 2nd time you'll just do it.

        In fact, I don't bother pulling the tubing out when I do it. I just
        cut it off just below where it connects to the leather pouch. Then I
        poke a hole using a shish-kebab skewer about 3/4" from the end. I
        push the nose of the pliers through the open end of the tube & out
        the hole I just made. Then I pull the other end of the tube through
        the ring and then place that end in the jaws of the pliers. Then I
        pull it through and when I'm done I've got that nice neat connection
        around the ring.

        On the free end of the tube that attaches to the tie-out cord I use
        a small (1/4" dia) nylon spacer (Home Depot, 50 cents, you'll find
        them in the drawers of miscellaneous hardware) I thread the end of
        the cord through the spacer (it's a hollow nylon tube) and tie a few
        overhand knots to make it large enough not to slip through the hole
        in the spacer. I put some Crazy Glue on the knot to make sure it
        doesn't unravel. Then I soap up the nylon spacer and shove it into
        the end of the rubber tubing. You'll need to fiddle with it a bit to
        get the thing in as it's a tight fit and you'll want to make sure
        the end of the tubing comes down over the end of the spacer but once
        it's on it's not coming off again unless you roll the tubing off of
        the spacer.

        As they say, this thing is "bulletproof". I've not had any issues
        with the connections of the tubing. When I hang my hammock I tie it
        to a stake or tree with the tubing stretched. Then as the fly
        loosens up the tubing takes up the slack. I don't think using an
        elastic cord like the Hennessey's hammock tie-outs use would work
        long term as they tend to loose their stretch over time when
        regularly tied out in a stretched mode. The rubber tubing is a
        surgical grade rubber that doesn't have a problem being tied out
        stretched and then returning to it's unstretched size.

        I don't think this whole thing weighs more than a couple of ounces.

        Jim