Re: [Hammock Camping] Motorcycle as 1 hammock post?

  • Keith YOung
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2007
      Actually, following up what the people commenting have said, I'd thought to alter the scooter support point. Folks said I'd probably bend the side-stand with over-turning forces.

      I'm now assuming the scooter is up on its center stand, with a 'plate' under the weight-bearing surfaces. I now imagine the support of a hammock from 2 poles on either side of the scooter, lashed together at the top & at the rail sides (suitably padded to preserve the paint), & restrained at the bottom with a loose strap passed around the pole bottoms & thru the rear wheel tire rim opening. Perhaps another line from the lashing back to the handlebars. The hammock would be swung off the rear of the scooter.

      I'll get the scooter out and do the needed experiments during a warm spell or wait for spring weather. It's either that or have my "Dear Wife" duct-tape me to the bed, as she has no interest in frozen cojones.

      This would make for a rather "lengthy" camp, what with 8' for the scooter & 12' for the hammock = ~ 20'.

      I do continue to agree with the ultra-light philosophy (even if the scooter will carry the extra stuff), and will be looking into minimizing weight, once I prove (or disprove) the concept.

      I do admit that one seemingly intractable problem remains, which is the "other" pole in back, which is to be tied down to the ubiquitous "tree" that just happens to be in the right place, each time. Good luck finding it on (or just off) the asphalt road in West Texas, New Mexico or Southeast California ... or a commercial campground most anywhere in the USA.

      Keith Young, retired
      64-year old guy, 6' 8"
      TreckLight double-width hammock
      2004 Suzuki Burgman AN650

      Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      A Risk?

      You mean the unsupported pole? I had not seen it called a Risk. LOL!

      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

      Risk

      Ralph Oborn wrote:
      > Anyone have practical experience/advice here?
      >
      > Here we go again... :]
      >

      > A quick an dirty test....
      >
      > 1. Set up your scooter
      > 2. Tie a rope to the top
      > 3. Pull as hard as you can horizontily
      > 4. If the sccoter tips it will tip as soon as you get in your hammock
      > 5. If th scooter drags, it will drag as soon as you get in the hammock
      >

      > Just to validate the test.
      >
      > 1. Set up one side of your hammock to a tree or solid post
      > 2. Have as large a person as you can find climb in the hammock
      > 3. Grab the other hammock strap ant pull outwards (say at a 30° angle)
      > 4. Try to lift that person up. That is the same tension that will be
      > pulling your scooter over.
      >

      > You could brace and stake down th back side of the bike, but a Risk one or
      > two stake option might be easier.
      >

      > Ralph

      Walk Well!

      Rick (Risk)