Re: [Hammock Camping] "Wet ropes can make excellent conductors."

  • Gregg Martell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2007
      http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/281-06252006-675383.html

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2007
        Thanks for the link Gregg. Do you have any other info on this incident?
        ..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        At 01:34 AM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
        >I think that if you hang high enough (1m) the lightning may prefer to
        >go through the wet bark (much larger than the rope) instead of going
        >through the rope then leaping through the air to the ground.
        >I have never heard of anybody struck by lightning in a hammock.
        >Is there at least a known case?
        >
        >gerzson

      • CHRIS NIMON
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2007
          JUST REMEMBER , ELECTRICITY ALWAYS TAKES THE PATH OF LEAST
          RESISTANCE. AND WATER IS A BETTER CONDUCTOR THAN A TREE. LIGHTNING
          MAY BE ATTRACTED TO THE HEIGHT OF THE TREE BUT WOULD RATHER TRAVEL
          THROUGH THE WET ROPE. YOUR FRIENDLY INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN, CHRIS.---

        • carterm@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2007
            Hey Tim,

            Yes, that would be the one.
            How are you doing?

            Michael

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30, 2007
              carterm@... wrote: Hey Tim,

              Yes, that would be the one.
              How are you doing?

              Michael

              .doing good... hope you are.
              are you still in NC? if so, mabey we can talk ed into going back up to mt mitchel.
              i just got back from a couple nights in the mt rogers area in VA w/ a group of hammockers. it didn't get as cold as we expected, but did get down to 21°f.
              ...tim