Re: [Hammock Camping] I only need one more thing!

  • ian toal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2007
      Hey Newz,

      If you come up with any good ideas for an ice free night let me know. I just spent three nights hammock camping in 3 to 7 degrees and the only problem I had was the condensation build up.

      Enjoy,

      Ian

      newshutz <newshutz@...> wrote:
      Till the next problem :)

      I just tried out my latest attempt at a cold weather setup.

      I was very snug at zero F.

      All of the gear was homemade. I had a travel pod (ala Risk) with a bag
      of feathers inside. I had a two layer hammock with a 3/8 pad in
      between. I used two quilts, each with 6oz primloft. one was draped
      outside the hammock, so there was no compression of the loft by my
      elbows. I was wearing a set of thermals, and some nice wool socks.

      On my head was a balaclava and the hood of my parka, because I have
      not made a sleep hat yet.

      Now, my problem is too much condensation on the outer quilt. While I
      slept, my head slipped inside the travel pod, and I awoke to a nice
      little patch of ice under my chin.

      I was thinking I might be able to fix this with a properly designed
      sleep hat. Perhaps one inspired by the hood of a snorkel parka?

      Any suggestions for a fix, or a source for a snorkel hood pattern?

      Thanks,
      Newz

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2007
        Newz,

        Congrats. You did well. One item which works pretty well to decrease
        condensation is a counter current moisture and warmth system for the
        breath.

        This can be as simple as several layers of a loose scarf which you
        breath through, or (my favorite) the Psolar Balaclava

        http://snipurl.com/18g2p

        What happens in the breathing cycle is that the element of the Psolar or
        the scarf fibers are cool. You breath into them with your warm moist
        breath. They warm up and some of the water vapor condenses on them.
        Then you breathe in. The cold air passes across all those fibers and
        warms up, at the same time, the dry air is made more moist as it
        evaporates the water off the fibers.

        The simple scarf and even the Psolar element are not perfect, but they
        do decrease the amount of water which freezes to the inside of my travel
        pod.

        In warmer weather, nearer to freezing, I usually just keep the travel
        pod closed. The section near my mouth gets moist, but it evaporates off
        the outer surface well enough.

        Rick

        newshutz wrote:
        > Till the next problem :)
        >
        > I just tried out my latest attempt at a cold weather setup.
        >
        > I was very snug at zero F.
        >
        > All of the gear was homemade. I had a travel pod (ala Risk) with a bag
        > of feathers inside. I had a two layer hammock with a 3/8 pad in
        > between. I used two quilts, each with 6oz primloft. one was draped
        > outside the hammock, so there was no compression of the loft by my
        > elbows. I was wearing a set of thermals, and some nice wool socks.
        >
        > On my head was a balaclava and the hood of my parka, because I have
        > not made a sleep hat yet.
        >
        > Now, my problem is too much condensation on the outer quilt. While I
        > slept, my head slipped inside the travel pod, and I awoke to a nice
        > little patch of ice under my chin.
        >
        > I was thinking I might be able to fix this with a properly designed
        > sleep hat. Perhaps one inspired by the hood of a snorkel parka?
        >
        > Any suggestions for a fix, or a source for a snorkel hood pattern?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Newz

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
      • ian toal
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2007
          Thanks, I was really psyched to be out and warm all for three nights and really loved waking up to fresh snow every morning. I'm planning on going out again in a few weeks so I'll try your suggestion. Either way, ice or no, I'm definitely hooked on winter hammocking and can't wait to use my hammock year round.

          Enjoy,

          Ian

          Rick <ra1@...> wrote: Newz,

          newshutz wrote:
          > Till the next problem :)
          >
          > I just tried out my latest attempt at a cold weather setup.
          >
          > I was very snug at zero F.
          >
          > All of the gear was homemade. I had a travel pod (ala Risk) with a bag
          > of feathers inside. I had a two layer hammock with a 3/8 pad in
          > between. I used two quilts, each with 6oz primloft. one was draped
          > outside the hammock, so there was no compression of the loft by my
          > elbows. I was wearing a set of thermals, and some nice wool socks.
          >
          > On my head was a balaclava and the hood of my parka, because I have
          > not made a sleep hat yet.
          >
          > Now, my problem is too much condensation on the outer quilt. While I
          > slept, my head slipped inside the travel pod, and I awoke to a nice
          > little patch of ice under my chin.
          >
          > I was thinking I might be able to fix this with a properly designed
          > sleep hat. Perhaps one inspired by the hood of a snorkel parka?
          >
          > Any suggestions for a fix, or a source for a snorkel hood pattern?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Newz

          Walk Well!

          Rick (Risk)

          *********************************

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
            Thanks,

            Just the scarf alone worked ok. I only had some frost to brush off,
            which was a great improvement over the patch of ice. It was below 0F
            with a brisk wind, and was still toasty.

            I will look into the balaclava, and may continue to work on a snorkel
            hood as a sleep hat, but there is much less urgency.

            Next trip for me is next weekend (camping with the scouts for their
            Klondike derby), so I dont have to carry things far.

            --Newz