Re: Hammock Camping a call for help

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
      colonelcorn76@... wrote:

      "On the other hand, with a list of specific items, it wouldn't be any problem to throw one more thing in the shopping cart when I'm getting something from Campmor (or even a real cart at a real brick & mortar store). That way too he won't end up with 100 yds of grosgrain and no no-see-um."

      Thats a great idea but, for now, let's just see what everybody has available. If the rest of this list is anything like I am, and I suspect it is, we have a ton of extra supplies tucked away in the backs of our closets, under the bed and otherwise hidden from our significant others!

      Ed has donated his book and they are planning on using his model for these hammocks. If you want the basic list of needs, it would start with the material suitable for tarps and hammocks. Tarps take almost 5 1/2 yards (16 ft) of material, hammocks take approximately 3 1/2 yards. Shorter lengths of tarp material could be pieced together. They will also need appropriate tarp cordage (that Spectra would be a wonderful donation, if you are so inclined), 3/4" or 1" velcro, webbing for straps, bug netting (3 yard lengths or longer would be most desirable) and decent thread. After we get offers starting to trickle in, I'll post what we seem to be lacking in. For now, any supplies will be welcome.

      If anyone has the shopping bug bad, try heading to Walmart this weekend and check out their $1 sale table for fabric. It's 'catch as catch can' and some stores tend to be better than others but sometimes you can pick up decent material for cheap. I know Ed found a 25 yard bolt once and I found that 7 yard piece (which will work for two hammocks). At a buck a yard, it's easy to be a big spender!

      If you have specific questions, please feel free to email me offlist at karens62@...

      Karen
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
        > colonelcorn76@y... wrote:
        >
        >They will also need appropriate tarp cordage (that Spectra would be
        a wonderful donation, if you are so inclined), 3/4" or 1" velcro,
        webbing for straps, bug netting (3 yard lengths or longer would be
        most desirable) and decent thread. After we get offers starting to
        trickle in, I'll post what we seem to be lacking in. For now, any
        supplies will be welcome.

        OK, the Spectra's yours. I recall Ed's design requires a fair amount
        of rope. I don't have his book with me so I don't know the spec --
        anyone got it handy? I should be able to take care of a few hundred
        feet of rope.

        Jim
      • karens62@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
          <<OK, the Spectra's yours. I recall Ed's design requires a fair amount of rope. I don't have his book with me so I don't know the spec -- anyone got it handy? I should be able to take care of a few hundred feet of rope.>>

          Rope? There isn't any rope needed unless you are talking line for tarps? In which case you will need about 60 feet per tarp.

          Karen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
            Message
            Good idea Jim,  I'll make up such a list, including items already donated--give me a few days...Ed
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
              Message
              Thanks Karen, this is already going well...Ed

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2003
                In a message dated 6/8/2003 5:50:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, info@... writes:

                they can send items to Speer Hammocks and I will see that they get to Rob.

                Somehow I knew he'd volunteer!  I, for one, am going to take him up on the offer.

                Karen