RE: [Hammock Camping] "Wet ropes can make excellent conductors." lightning strikes

  • D. Emer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 25, 2007
      We did have that special bond alright. Words can't describe how we miss him.

      1. I don't think it matters on tree height, lower the better if course, but
      if the short tree is in conductive soil the strike will form where the
      current flows best and that's an unknown to the camper so I'd think the idea
      of tree height may give a false sense of security. Personally I pick the
      best spot, with the best tree, with the best view and enjoy myself. When
      lightning approaches I disconnect and set up as a tent in a low area that
      I've already eyeballed for just that event. The hardest thing is actually
      deciding to do it before the rain, wind and the lightning thunder are
      crashing all around you and you wished you had (Yeah, been there done that
      too!). Would you do the tie-a-key-to-a kite-string thing in a thunder
      storm? me neither, yet a hammock tied to a tree with you as the key is the
      direct analog - try not to forget that.

      2. I would avoid high ground alright. Be the smallest object on the lowest
      ground would be a good idea.

      3. Ever watch a hot air balloon hit a power line? At 600 volts Nylon
      conducts electricity, a lighting strike is 10 to 100 million volts at 30,000
      amps with a core temperature temperature of up to 50,000 deg F. It doesn't
      matter what's in the path, it's insignificant, there are no dielectrics
      under these conditions.

      The idea here is we're all out having having fun and enjoying nature, just
      realize when nature gets serious you need to have a plan and follow it.

      Dudley Emer
      KK7IF