Re:hammock and back pain

  • Douglas Campbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2007
      Gerzson,

      That is really good information. It seems so counter-intuitive that a
      hammock would be beneficial for such a serious back injury. However, I too
      had an experience that made me draw a similar conclusion. I'm in the Idaho
      Air National Guard and last August we went up into the mountains for a
      bivouac and I set up a simple Speer style hammock just for relaxing in. We
      had done a lot of heavy lifting and work to set up camp and our
      communications systems; afterwards I had a very unhappy back (at 45, my back
      just isn't what it used to be). However, after hours, I just spread out
      that hammock and relaxed for about 45 minutes and my back pain just went
      away for the rest of the evening. It felt like it made my spine lengthen
      out and realign. I can't prove any of that of course, but the pain did
      disappear.

      ~Doug Campbell