hammock and back pain

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2007
      Hello,

      Often people ask me if the hammock doesn't cause back pains.

      I recently found the contrary:
      A few years ago after lifting something heavy I've had a serious spine failure.
      Since then the pain never really went away. Sleeping in the hammock
      now and then I realized that in the days following the hammock nights,
      my back doesn't hurt. Since I already had a hammock in the living room
      I made a few experiments (alternating nights in the hammock and bed)
      that confirmed this. Now I have a pair of hooks also in the bedroom
      and a more comfortable hammock for every-night sleep.

      gerzson
    • Douglas Campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2007
        Gerzson,

        That is really good information. It seems so counter-intuitive that a
        hammock would be beneficial for such a serious back injury. However, I too
        had an experience that made me draw a similar conclusion. I'm in the Idaho
        Air National Guard and last August we went up into the mountains for a
        bivouac and I set up a simple Speer style hammock just for relaxing in. We
        had done a lot of heavy lifting and work to set up camp and our
        communications systems; afterwards I had a very unhappy back (at 45, my back
        just isn't what it used to be). However, after hours, I just spread out
        that hammock and relaxed for about 45 minutes and my back pain just went
        away for the rest of the evening. It felt like it made my spine lengthen
        out and realign. I can't prove any of that of course, but the pain did
        disappear.

        ~Doug Campbell