hammock through sleeping back (in cold weather)

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2007
      Hello,

      I come back with this topic especially that it was now mentioned by Nate.

      I was using this setup for over 3 years now in all seasons except winter.
      I've had an unsuccessful attempt last winter, when after 3-4 hours of
      sleep in the hammock I was forced by the cold to enter the tent.
      But I didn't give up and this year I've tried again initially wanting
      to try out a hammock sock.
      The sock was made from a non-breathable material and at midnight I
      woke up all wet. But I was not cold and I just pushed the sock down
      and continued to sleep till morning.

      I have tried to explain what was the difference between the two nights
      and found the following:

      Mistakes in the last winter:
      - dress up too much: don't fit in the sleeping bag; the (down) bag
      doesn't have space to expand properly;
      - exhaustion: the night came after a long ascent in the deep snow;
      what energy was left in me wasn't enough to keep me warm;

      Improvements this year:
      - dress up much lighter (shorts and T-shirt) allowing the sleeping bag
      to expand and do the isolation;
      - an additional effect of dressing light is that I had more room in
      the bag and was able to cover my head with the hood of the bag (like I
      do in warm weather). In the hammock I am sleeping with the back of the
      bag over me (the hood over my head - I don't get condensation because
      I sleep on the side and breathe through the hammock, not in the bag).

      I slept several nights this winter in the hammock and realized that
      one must *learn* how to sleep in a hammock. It is not something
      straight forward, and the comfort improves with trial and error.

      The only week spot I fond this year is around my neck under the
      hammock where only the hammock and my shirt was between me and the
      outside (the hood was covering my head from above. Next time I will
      make a pillow from the clothes I don't use to cover this area.

      gerzson