Re: [Hammock Camping] dayhike Sunday

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
      wrote:

      > So, what are the rules?
      >
      > CL

      They come from Risk's book, "A Wildly Succesful 200-Mile Hike."

      Two of the biggies are:
      -I cannot decide to quit at night or while it is raining.
      -I cannot decide to quit without spending two days in the nearest Trail
      town. (I didn't spend two days in town, but usually just one night,
      and then deferred leaving the Trail for a couple of days, which I spent
      hiking a bit further. And, as I said, eventually I reached Springer.)
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
        No quitting at night or in the rain... Excellent points because both,
        either separately or together, can be real downers.

        Maybe long-distance hikers should take a look at the literature on
        culture shock... Spending a night or two in town can give you a small
        holiday back into your original culture: hot baths, clean clothes,
        aircon, and long phone calls to loved ones.

        CL

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2007
          Congrats Marta! Glad to hear you made it to Springer--quite an
          accomplishment. Also gald to hear you made it back from Colorado--
          did you get snowed in at all?

          Karen & I met Snapshot at Springer NYE. He & two other sobos made
          it late afternoon & partied most of the night! The weather was
          really bad--heavy rain & fog, but the temps were warm....Ed

          Moderator--hammock camping List
          Author--Hammock Camping book
          Editor--Hammock Camping newsletters
          Owner--Speer Hammocks Inc

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
          <marta_clark@...> wrote:

          > Hello, folks! I'm mostly done with my thru-hike (is that a
          > contradiction?), and am back home, but jonesing to get back and do
          some
          > hiking.
          >
          > I'm planning a dayhike on the AT from Sam's Gap to Devils Fork Gap
          this
          > coming Sunday. I'll be driving up for the day from Charlotte. My
          > husband will be my shuttle driver, unless I can find someone else
          who
          > wants to spot cars with me.
          >
          > Anyone interested?
          >
          > Cheers!
          > Marta/Five-Leafed Clover

        • marta_clark
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2007
            Thanks, Ed. I have talked to Snapshot a couple of times since I
            finished--Friday was his 26th birthday--and he's chillin' at home,
            putting off going back to work.

            He is interested in hammocking. You'll probably be hearing from him
            when he gets back to work and starts making some money again.

            We didn't get snowed in in CO. Sadly, most of the snow was missing the
            mountains and falling on the plains to the east. That is so wrong. I
            did pick up a guidebook to the Colorado Trail while I was there...

            Cheers!
            Marta

            PS--The hike in the mountains is off for today because of the predicted
            freezing rain, etc. I'm going to Crowder Mtn. SP instead, planning an
            18-miler (around everything twice), weather permitting.

            PPS--I got my new special licence plate this week. My plate now
            reads "SOBO-AT." How cool is that?