Re: [Hammock Camping] dayhike Sunday

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 18, 2007
      So, what are the rules?

      CL

      marta_clark wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      > BTW, I met a struggling NOBO hiker in Georgia and shared your "Rules
      > for Quitting a Hike." Stumpknocker was at dinner when I was listing
      > them, and he agreed that they were very sensible--especially the two-
      > day waiting period. It worked for me. I just kept putting off quitting
      > for a couple more days, and eventually I got to Springer.
      >
      > Cheers!
      > Marta
    • marta_clark
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
        wrote:

        > So, what are the rules?
        >
        > CL

        They come from Risk's book, "A Wildly Succesful 200-Mile Hike."

        Two of the biggies are:
        -I cannot decide to quit at night or while it is raining.
        -I cannot decide to quit without spending two days in the nearest Trail
        town. (I didn't spend two days in town, but usually just one night,
        and then deferred leaving the Trail for a couple of days, which I spent
        hiking a bit further. And, as I said, eventually I reached Springer.)
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
          No quitting at night or in the rain... Excellent points because both,
          either separately or together, can be real downers.

          Maybe long-distance hikers should take a look at the literature on
          culture shock... Spending a night or two in town can give you a small
          holiday back into your original culture: hot baths, clean clothes,
          aircon, and long phone calls to loved ones.

          CL

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 20, 2007
            Congrats Marta! Glad to hear you made it to Springer--quite an
            accomplishment. Also gald to hear you made it back from Colorado--
            did you get snowed in at all?

            Karen & I met Snapshot at Springer NYE. He & two other sobos made
            it late afternoon & partied most of the night! The weather was
            really bad--heavy rain & fog, but the temps were warm....Ed

            Moderator--hammock camping List
            Author--Hammock Camping book
            Editor--Hammock Camping newsletters
            Owner--Speer Hammocks Inc

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
            <marta_clark@...> wrote:

            > Hello, folks! I'm mostly done with my thru-hike (is that a
            > contradiction?), and am back home, but jonesing to get back and do
            some
            > hiking.
            >
            > I'm planning a dayhike on the AT from Sam's Gap to Devils Fork Gap
            this
            > coming Sunday. I'll be driving up for the day from Charlotte. My
            > husband will be my shuttle driver, unless I can find someone else
            who
            > wants to spot cars with me.
            >
            > Anyone interested?
            >
            > Cheers!
            > Marta/Five-Leafed Clover

          • marta_clark
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2007
              Thanks, Ed. I have talked to Snapshot a couple of times since I
              finished--Friday was his 26th birthday--and he's chillin' at home,
              putting off going back to work.

              He is interested in hammocking. You'll probably be hearing from him
              when he gets back to work and starts making some money again.

              We didn't get snowed in in CO. Sadly, most of the snow was missing the
              mountains and falling on the plains to the east. That is so wrong. I
              did pick up a guidebook to the Colorado Trail while I was there...

              Cheers!
              Marta

              PS--The hike in the mountains is off for today because of the predicted
              freezing rain, etc. I'm going to Crowder Mtn. SP instead, planning an
              18-miler (around everything twice), weather permitting.

              PPS--I got my new special licence plate this week. My plate now
              reads "SOBO-AT." How cool is that?