Re: [Hammock Camping] dayhike Sunday

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 18, 2007
      > I was at Fontana last Friday with my wife and gave Beater a ride to
      > Fontana Inn for a phone. (Phone at the dam was out of service.)
      >
      > You may have seen him at the NOC on Saturday.

      I sure did see Beater at the Ruck. As far as I know, he and Fishy T
      are the last of the SOBOs still hiking.

      I hope your leg is better and you've been able to get out and hike?

      BTW, I met a struggling NOBO hiker in Georgia and shared your "Rules
      for Quitting a Hike." Stumpknocker was at dinner when I was listing
      them, and he agreed that they were very sensible--especially the two-
      day waiting period. It worked for me. I just kept putting off quitting
      for a couple more days, and eventually I got to Springer.

      Cheers!
      Marta
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 18, 2007
        So, what are the rules?

        CL

        marta_clark wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
        > BTW, I met a struggling NOBO hiker in Georgia and shared your "Rules
        > for Quitting a Hike." Stumpknocker was at dinner when I was listing
        > them, and he agreed that they were very sensible--especially the two-
        > day waiting period. It worked for me. I just kept putting off quitting
        > for a couple more days, and eventually I got to Springer.
        >
        > Cheers!
        > Marta
      • marta_clark
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
          wrote:

          > So, what are the rules?
          >
          > CL

          They come from Risk's book, "A Wildly Succesful 200-Mile Hike."

          Two of the biggies are:
          -I cannot decide to quit at night or while it is raining.
          -I cannot decide to quit without spending two days in the nearest Trail
          town. (I didn't spend two days in town, but usually just one night,
          and then deferred leaving the Trail for a couple of days, which I spent
          hiking a bit further. And, as I said, eventually I reached Springer.)
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
            No quitting at night or in the rain... Excellent points because both,
            either separately or together, can be real downers.

            Maybe long-distance hikers should take a look at the literature on
            culture shock... Spending a night or two in town can give you a small
            holiday back into your original culture: hot baths, clean clothes,
            aircon, and long phone calls to loved ones.

            CL

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 20, 2007
              Congrats Marta! Glad to hear you made it to Springer--quite an
              accomplishment. Also gald to hear you made it back from Colorado--
              did you get snowed in at all?

              Karen & I met Snapshot at Springer NYE. He & two other sobos made
              it late afternoon & partied most of the night! The weather was
              really bad--heavy rain & fog, but the temps were warm....Ed

              Moderator--hammock camping List
              Author--Hammock Camping book
              Editor--Hammock Camping newsletters
              Owner--Speer Hammocks Inc

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
              <marta_clark@...> wrote:

              > Hello, folks! I'm mostly done with my thru-hike (is that a
              > contradiction?), and am back home, but jonesing to get back and do
              some
              > hiking.
              >
              > I'm planning a dayhike on the AT from Sam's Gap to Devils Fork Gap
              this
              > coming Sunday. I'll be driving up for the day from Charlotte. My
              > husband will be my shuttle driver, unless I can find someone else
              who
              > wants to spot cars with me.
              >
              > Anyone interested?
              >
              > Cheers!
              > Marta/Five-Leafed Clover

            • marta_clark
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2007
                Thanks, Ed. I have talked to Snapshot a couple of times since I
                finished--Friday was his 26th birthday--and he's chillin' at home,
                putting off going back to work.

                He is interested in hammocking. You'll probably be hearing from him
                when he gets back to work and starts making some money again.

                We didn't get snowed in in CO. Sadly, most of the snow was missing the
                mountains and falling on the plains to the east. That is so wrong. I
                did pick up a guidebook to the Colorado Trail while I was there...

                Cheers!
                Marta

                PS--The hike in the mountains is off for today because of the predicted
                freezing rain, etc. I'm going to Crowder Mtn. SP instead, planning an
                18-miler (around everything twice), weather permitting.

                PPS--I got my new special licence plate this week. My plate now
                reads "SOBO-AT." How cool is that?