Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [Hammock Camping] dayhike Sunday

Expand Messages
  • Rick
    Good to hear from ya Marta. I saw that you finished on Springer recently. I was at Fontana last Friday with my wife and gave Beater a ride to Fontana Inn for
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 18, 2007
      Good to hear from ya Marta. I saw that you finished on Springer recently.

      I was at Fontana last Friday with my wife and gave Beater a ride to
      Fontana Inn for a phone. (Phone at the dam was out of service.)

      You may have seen him at the NOC on Saturday.

      marta_clark wrote:
      > Hello, folks! I'm mostly done with my thru-hike (is that a
      > contradiction?), and am back home, but jonesing to get back and do some
      > hiking.
      >
      > I'm planning a dayhike on the AT from Sam's Gap to Devils Fork Gap this
      > coming Sunday. I'll be driving up for the day from Charlotte. My
      > husband will be my shuttle driver, unless I can find someone else who
      > wants to spot cars with me.
      >
      > Anyone interested?
      >
      > Cheers!
      > Marta/Five-Leafed Clover
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >

      --
      Walk Well!

      Rick (Risk)

      *********************************
      http://www.imrisk.com
      author of
      A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      www.wayahpress.com
      *********************************
    • marta_clark
      ... I sure did see Beater at the Ruck. As far as I know, he and Fishy T are the last of the SOBOs still hiking. I hope your leg is better and you ve been able
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 18, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
        > I was at Fontana last Friday with my wife and gave Beater a ride to
        > Fontana Inn for a phone. (Phone at the dam was out of service.)
        >
        > You may have seen him at the NOC on Saturday.

        I sure did see Beater at the Ruck. As far as I know, he and Fishy T
        are the last of the SOBOs still hiking.

        I hope your leg is better and you've been able to get out and hike?

        BTW, I met a struggling NOBO hiker in Georgia and shared your "Rules
        for Quitting a Hike." Stumpknocker was at dinner when I was listing
        them, and he agreed that they were very sensible--especially the two-
        day waiting period. It worked for me. I just kept putting off quitting
        for a couple more days, and eventually I got to Springer.

        Cheers!
        Marta
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        So, what are the rules? CL
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 18, 2007
          So, what are the rules?

          CL

          marta_clark wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
          > BTW, I met a struggling NOBO hiker in Georgia and shared your "Rules
          > for Quitting a Hike." Stumpknocker was at dinner when I was listing
          > them, and he agreed that they were very sensible--especially the two-
          > day waiting period. It worked for me. I just kept putting off quitting
          > for a couple more days, and eventually I got to Springer.
          >
          > Cheers!
          > Marta
        • marta_clark
          ... They come from Risk s book, A Wildly Succesful 200-Mile Hike. Two of the biggies are: -I cannot decide to quit at night or while it is raining. -I cannot
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > So, what are the rules?
            >
            > CL

            They come from Risk's book, "A Wildly Succesful 200-Mile Hike."

            Two of the biggies are:
            -I cannot decide to quit at night or while it is raining.
            -I cannot decide to quit without spending two days in the nearest Trail
            town. (I didn't spend two days in town, but usually just one night,
            and then deferred leaving the Trail for a couple of days, which I spent
            hiking a bit further. And, as I said, eventually I reached Springer.)
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            No quitting at night or in the rain... Excellent points because both, either separately or together, can be real downers. Maybe long-distance hikers should
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 19, 2007
              No quitting at night or in the rain... Excellent points because both,
              either separately or together, can be real downers.

              Maybe long-distance hikers should take a look at the literature on
              culture shock... Spending a night or two in town can give you a small
              holiday back into your original culture: hot baths, clean clothes,
              aircon, and long phone calls to loved ones.

              CL

              marta_clark wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
              > wrote:
              >> So, what are the rules?
              >>
              >> CL
              >
              > They come from Risk's book, "A Wildly Succesful 200-Mile Hike."
              >
              > Two of the biggies are:
              > -I cannot decide to quit at night or while it is raining.
              > -I cannot decide to quit without spending two days in the nearest Trail
              > town. (I didn't spend two days in town, but usually just one night,
              > and then deferred leaving the Trail for a couple of days, which I spent
              > hiking a bit further. And, as I said, eventually I reached Springer.)
            • Ed Speer
              Congrats Marta! Glad to hear you made it to Springer--quite an accomplishment. Also gald to hear you made it back from Colorado-- did you get snowed in at
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 20, 2007
                Congrats Marta! Glad to hear you made it to Springer--quite an
                accomplishment. Also gald to hear you made it back from Colorado--
                did you get snowed in at all?

                Karen & I met Snapshot at Springer NYE. He & two other sobos made
                it late afternoon & partied most of the night! The weather was
                really bad--heavy rain & fog, but the temps were warm....Ed

                Moderator--hammock camping List
                Author--Hammock Camping book
                Editor--Hammock Camping newsletters
                Owner--Speer Hammocks Inc





                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
                <marta_clark@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hello, folks! I'm mostly done with my thru-hike (is that a
                > contradiction?), and am back home, but jonesing to get back and do
                some
                > hiking.
                >
                > I'm planning a dayhike on the AT from Sam's Gap to Devils Fork Gap
                this
                > coming Sunday. I'll be driving up for the day from Charlotte. My
                > husband will be my shuttle driver, unless I can find someone else
                who
                > wants to spot cars with me.
                >
                > Anyone interested?
                >
                > Cheers!
                > Marta/Five-Leafed Clover
                >
              • marta_clark
                Thanks, Ed. I have talked to Snapshot a couple of times since I finished--Friday was his 26th birthday--and he s chillin at home, putting off going back to
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2007
                  Thanks, Ed. I have talked to Snapshot a couple of times since I
                  finished--Friday was his 26th birthday--and he's chillin' at home,
                  putting off going back to work.

                  He is interested in hammocking. You'll probably be hearing from him
                  when he gets back to work and starts making some money again.

                  We didn't get snowed in in CO. Sadly, most of the snow was missing the
                  mountains and falling on the plains to the east. That is so wrong. I
                  did pick up a guidebook to the Colorado Trail while I was there...

                  Cheers!
                  Marta

                  PS--The hike in the mountains is off for today because of the predicted
                  freezing rain, etc. I'm going to Crowder Mtn. SP instead, planning an
                  18-miler (around everything twice), weather permitting.

                  PPS--I got my new special licence plate this week. My plate now
                  reads "SOBO-AT." How cool is that?
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.