Replacing hammock ropes

  • tory1942
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2007
      Following the advice given by experienced folks here, I've replaced the
      ropes on my hammock with polypropylene tie-down straps, with a test
      strength of 600+ lbs., and a breaking strength of 1200 lbs., and
      letting it 'sag' about 30 deg. I think I'll relax/sleep a whole lot
      sounder now (even if it is only strung up in my spare bedroom for the
      winter). Thanks, all, from the "very tall man".
    • Jeff Palmer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2007
        Hi All,

        I'm planning to do a section hike on the AT with a hammock for the
        first time and trying to decide whether to use a silk or nylon
        hammock. I've made both, with the Speer design. I just finished the
        silk hammock and I like the way it works with a Stephenson D.A.M. The
        DAM doesn't slide around in the hammock which is a definite advantage
        over the nylon. Anyone know of any disadvantages to using a silk
        hammock?

        Thanks,

        Jeff