Re: Hammock Camping a call for help

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
      In a message dated 6/5/2003 8:28:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, beanco@... writes:

      Hence this post. I would like to know if anybody out there could help with
      donations? I am not interested in collecting money. What i am looking for
      most is materials for making hammocks/tarps with the school kids, old
      unused tarps or hammocks would also be appreciated as they would be a great
      way of getting the kids started.

      If anybody out there would like to contribute anything, please contact
      me.  I understand many of you may not like to read this or to follow what
      goes on with my project therefore I assume all replies would be better to
      my private email and not through the list.

      Rob (and everybody else),

      I am intentionally NOT replying privately because I think this could be a great project for the whole list to get involved with.  I am in the process of making a new hammock and when it's tested, will donate not only my old hammock, but the extra width of bug netting from my new hammock.   I also picked up a long peice of hammock suitable material on the $1 table at Walmart a few weeks ago (I think there are 7 yards) and will donate that as well.  I have odds and ends of velcro, grosgrain ribbon, etc that I am sure you will find useful.

      If everyone will dig into their extra "stuff" , I bet we could come up with a sizable donation ast the same time we do a biut of spring cleaning!  I will come up with a central collection spot (probably me) and then we can ship everything overseas as one package!  Give me a couple days to pull this together. I'll post something to the list by the end of the weekend about where to send your stuff.

      Karen
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
        Is it possible for someone to put together a more specific "wish
        list"? I think that would make it easier for people to know what was
        really needed. We could then "sign up" to provide something. For
        instance, I've got a couple 30' lengths of 3mm Spectra line but it's
        more suited for tarps than hammocks.

        On the other hand, with a list of specific items, it wouldn't be any
        problem to throw one more thing in the shopping cart when I'm
        getting something from Campmor (or even a real cart at a real brick
        & mortar store). That way too he won't end up with 100 yds of
        grosgrain and no no-see-um.

        That's my 2 cents.

        Jim

      • karens62@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
          colonelcorn76@... wrote:

          "On the other hand, with a list of specific items, it wouldn't be any problem to throw one more thing in the shopping cart when I'm getting something from Campmor (or even a real cart at a real brick & mortar store). That way too he won't end up with 100 yds of grosgrain and no no-see-um."

          Thats a great idea but, for now, let's just see what everybody has available. If the rest of this list is anything like I am, and I suspect it is, we have a ton of extra supplies tucked away in the backs of our closets, under the bed and otherwise hidden from our significant others!

          Ed has donated his book and they are planning on using his model for these hammocks. If you want the basic list of needs, it would start with the material suitable for tarps and hammocks. Tarps take almost 5 1/2 yards (16 ft) of material, hammocks take approximately 3 1/2 yards. Shorter lengths of tarp material could be pieced together. They will also need appropriate tarp cordage (that Spectra would be a wonderful donation, if you are so inclined), 3/4" or 1" velcro, webbing for straps, bug netting (3 yard lengths or longer would be most desirable) and decent thread. After we get offers starting to trickle in, I'll post what we seem to be lacking in. For now, any supplies will be welcome.

          If anyone has the shopping bug bad, try heading to Walmart this weekend and check out their $1 sale table for fabric. It's 'catch as catch can' and some stores tend to be better than others but sometimes you can pick up decent material for cheap. I know Ed found a 25 yard bolt once and I found that 7 yard piece (which will work for two hammocks). At a buck a yard, it's easy to be a big spender!

          If you have specific questions, please feel free to email me offlist at karens62@...

          Karen
        • colonelcorn76
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
            > colonelcorn76@y... wrote:
            >
            >They will also need appropriate tarp cordage (that Spectra would be
            a wonderful donation, if you are so inclined), 3/4" or 1" velcro,
            webbing for straps, bug netting (3 yard lengths or longer would be
            most desirable) and decent thread. After we get offers starting to
            trickle in, I'll post what we seem to be lacking in. For now, any
            supplies will be welcome.

            OK, the Spectra's yours. I recall Ed's design requires a fair amount
            of rope. I don't have his book with me so I don't know the spec --
            anyone got it handy? I should be able to take care of a few hundred
            feet of rope.

            Jim
          • karens62@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
              <<OK, the Spectra's yours. I recall Ed's design requires a fair amount of rope. I don't have his book with me so I don't know the spec -- anyone got it handy? I should be able to take care of a few hundred feet of rope.>>

              Rope? There isn't any rope needed unless you are talking line for tarps? In which case you will need about 60 feet per tarp.

              Karen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
                Message
                Good idea Jim,  I'll make up such a list, including items already donated--give me a few days...Ed
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
                  Message
                  Thanks Karen, this is already going well...Ed

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9, 2003
                    In a message dated 6/8/2003 5:50:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, info@... writes:

                    they can send items to Speer Hammocks and I will see that they get to Rob.

                    Somehow I knew he'd volunteer!  I, for one, am going to take him up on the offer.

                    Karen