Re: [Hammock Camping] MuleKnot

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
      hmmmm anyone seen anything suitable on Sportsman's Guide?

      i'm going to write to treklight and suggest they carry suitable
      ropes!! the hammock arrived yesterday!!

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...>
      wrote:

      > Back in the '60's, my Dad had a yacht/boat. Somehow, he got to be
      buddies with an Air Force guy, who told him that the connecting lines
      to the arresting-parachute for SAC bombers were only used once.

      > Dad asked, could he get some?
      >
      > About a couple of days later, half of our two-car garage was
      filled with heavy, thick MilSpec nylon rope (from two training
      landings). It took us about two more decades of hard use to use it
      all up or give it all away.

      > Chuck Haak <chuckhaak@...> wrote:
      > Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge.
      >
      > My brother is an industrial electrician.
      >
      > I'll echo the electrician tip. A friend of mine works for the local
      > electrical utility and they use mule tape to pull wire. He says
      that they
      > are only allowed to use it once, so they have miles of it laying
      around used
      > only once. If you tell them you are hanging your body weight on it,
      they
      > will probably decline to give you any. The stuff he gave me has a
      slick
      > silicone treatment that I don't like. It makes me mistrust the
      knots I tie
      > in it. I use it anyway and have (k)not had a failure.
      >
      > Chuck Haak
      >
      > .
      >
      > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
      s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId