RE: [Hammock Camping] MuleKnot

  • Keith YOung
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
      Back in the '60's, my Dad had a yacht/boat. Somehow, he got to be buddies with an Air Force guy, who told him that the connecting lines to the arresting-parachute for SAC bombers were only used once.

      Dad asked, could he get some?

      About a couple of days later, half of our two-car garage was filled with heavy, thick MilSpec nylon rope (from two training landings). It took us about two more decades of hard use to use it all up or give it all away.

      Chuck Haak <chuckhaak@...> wrote:
      Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge.

      My brother is an industrial electrician.

      I'll echo the electrician tip. A friend of mine works for the local
      electrical utility and they use mule tape to pull wire. He says that they
      are only allowed to use it once, so they have miles of it laying around used
      only once. If you tell them you are hanging your body weight on it, they
      will probably decline to give you any. The stuff he gave me has a slick
      silicone treatment that I don't like. It makes me mistrust the knots I tie
      in it. I use it anyway and have (k)not had a failure.

      Chuck Haak

      .

      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId
      =16683/stime=1168120628/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
        hmmmm anyone seen anything suitable on Sportsman's Guide?

        i'm going to write to treklight and suggest they carry suitable
        ropes!! the hammock arrived yesterday!!

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...>